Topic

The Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Locale: Minnesota Transplant

Your thoughts? I'm having a hard time deciding on a bag that I can stuff for a fly fishing trip. I think I'll get up to 40Lb load, and can't decide on a pack. I'm goin back and forth between a few. The Osprey 70 keeps coming into play, but its pretty heavy. But the Meridian is about an lb lighter. Im really liking the detachable day packs to carry on the stream.

Any other recommendations?

Any thoughts on these?

I hope I'm not re-hashing old material, just trying to get transitioned into a light(er) weight frame of mind!

Thanks much!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Try an REI UL 60 Cruise. And then let me know how it is, so I can decide whether or not to buy one!

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Fishing? You can't do no stinkin' fishing when you're backpacking…..

Buy the Granite Gear. A pound is a lot….

Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Locale: Minnesota Transplant

No no John, its cool. I'm using 12 feet of dental floss, with 6 inches of mono tippit, and a sz 16 hook. Then I'll dig for worms or chase grasshoppers… that brings my total packed weight for my fishing rig to approx .00034 oz

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Get the lightest pack you can find that will comfortably handle the 40 lbs. Then consider using something like a luxury lite pack that weighs in under 4 ounces. I use it as oversized stuff sack for my bag and then it holds all kinds of stuff for dayhiking/fishing trips away from camp.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Let's hear it for the LuxuryLite. It'll carry as much or as little as you want and works well either way. Large Cylinders have 1400 cubic inches capacity and weigh only 3.3oz.LuxuryLite Pack

The configuration in the photo weighs 32.9 oz. and has a 4200 cubic inch capacity.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Let's hear it for the LuxuryLite.

Yeah, that's some pack; it rides like a dream. I use mine when I'm carrying a lot of family or group gear, and I pack an extra cylinder in case I'm forced to be the "beast of burden." It's a great trail pack, since all of the weight is nicely distributed on the hips, and while the pack can move around the force is fairly stable. I added some cord loops to my Camelbak Unbottle and hooked it over the top of the packframe–instant hydration system. IMHO, the typical "loosy-goosy" comment is a good point. I wouldn't use it off-trail or for ski-packing because the packframe is not affixed to the waist belt. I bought the LuxuryLite packframe and added the NeoTrekk (now Condor?) cylinders–a few ounces more but a savings of hundreds of dollars.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools