Topic

CDT Segment in Colorado — good acclimation plan?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning CDT Segment in Colorado — good acclimation plan?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Hi Everyone.

I'm planning on hiking along the CDT from the Herman Gulch Trailhead near the Loveland Ski area to Nederland Colorado (~45 miles).

This segment is nicely connected to public transportation/shuttles on both ends. Unfortunately the trailhead is close to 11,000 and goes up from there so there is little scope for gradual acclimation.

Here is my acclimation plan…
    Day #1: Arrive in Boulder and take a 4 mile day hike (~5,500 ft)
    Day #2: Hike to little blue lake (~11,000 ft) and then return to Boulder to sleep.
    Day #3: Hike to Pawnee Pass (~12,000 ft) and then return to Boulder to sleep.
    Day #4: Arrive at Herman Gulch trailhead, hike just a few miles, and sleep (~11,000 ft)
    Day #5-6: Hike up to ~13,000 ft and sleep around ~12,000 ft. There are few opportunities to 'sleep low' once the hike starts.

Does this sound like a reasonable acclimation plan?
    AND: has anyone done this trip before? Any advice or campsite recommendations?

Thanks!
    RVP

RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I'm thinking of doing a different route instead of Loveland-Nederland on the CDT so that I can "climb high and sleep low". It would ruin the whole trip if I got sick from altitude on the CDT route. On the other hand, what a great route… does anyone want to talk me back into it? Need to decide by Saturday.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

That would be a very scenic and challenging route, but I wouldn't consider it right now. Maybe in September, after the "monsoon" clouds go away. You would be at seriously exposed elevations, and severe lightning above tree line is almost a certainty this time of the year.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Give yourself a full day in Boulder as Day 1. Drink water all day and hang aroung town. Get to bed early. Do the 4 mile on Day 2, drink water all day and off to bed early. Day 3, hit the trails.
    Elevation at home is 1100' and with a couple of easy, non-alcohol days before hitting the trails we have never had any altitude related problems.
    Have a great trip.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools