Topic

InsulMat Uber Mtn Sleeping Pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) InsulMat Uber Mtn Sleeping Pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

Has anyone used this pad? I'm a side sleeper with bony hips and am looking for something with more than the 1" provided by the Thermarest Protlite/BMW Torsolite, but without carrying a huge amount of extra weight. At 13oz and 1.5" of pad this seems like a good compromise if it works. Any experience to share?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Graeme, I tried the 1" version, the Uberlite(?) and it didn't work for me. I move around a lot when I sleep and had a hard time hitting the lower section with my hips consistently. My bony hips do well on the rectangular Montbell torso pad plus GG 3/8" thinlite. If you cut the thinlite down to the size of the torso pad, you're right around 13 oz. If you decide to go this route, keep in mind that some users have a problem with the Montbell pads delaminating. The Torsolite may be a better choice if you think that it's wide enough for you.

Eric Carlsen

@cooleric1234

Or you could just go for 16 or 17 ounces (don't remember which) and get the 3/4 length max-thermo. It's definitely not ultralight, but I find it is worth the weight for a side sleeper and dramatically improves my enjoyment of sleeping outdoors. It's the non self-inflating one that is 2.5 inches thick.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Eric, What is the R-value of this pad that you mention?

REI-outlet.com has the 3/4 length pad on sale right now.

Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just bought the Max Thermo online at REI. We'll see how my hips do on it.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

pj, I've looked and haven't been able to find the R-values for any of the POE pads. I spent one night on a 3/4 Max-Thermo and started feeling a chill from below when the temps. hit the mid-twenties.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Max Thermo is ok for me down to about 35F, so I should find the Uber Mtn OK down to 25F.
    From memory Insulmat do not give R ratings and that is my guess based on the construction and thickness of the Uber.
    Franco
    Same as Dondo, the Uber is too small for me

Eric Carlsen

@cooleric1234

What others have said is correct, there are no R-values available. They just list it as a 3-season item. I can't really say how warm the pad is, due to the complex relationship between the pad, sleeping bag, metabolism, etc. I know that Big Agnes lists their insulated pads as going down to 15 degrees F. I would imagine the POE pads would be comparable, but that's purely a guess.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Greatest invention since pockets on a shirt. I've used mine down to 30, with no problem. Well, I actually used it down to 18 degress one night, but it's probably different using it in Texas, versus somewhere where it's under freezing all the time. I don't think the 3/4 is worth the little bit of weight you save; you're probably getting cold by not having something under your feet.

matthew hart

@jomatty

i like mine quite a bit and found it to be a nice compromise between foam and inflatable. i find it to be comforatable although i do at times shift off of the inflatable section and wake up at night.

cool idea and it works well

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools