Topic

Do you always take a rain jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do you always take a rain jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

If there's one thing people are universally bad at, it's predicting the future. Weatherman included.

Even in Southern AZ, I always take a rain jacket or poncho. Just in the past year I have been rained/snowed on and rained/hailed on when the forecast showed a 0% chance of rain for the next 10 days! That said, those are really the only two times I've had to use my rain gear in the last year…

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Nope.

Depends on the trip for me.

If you always carry a rain jacket, do you also always carry rain pants?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wonder what the stats are for weather pattern change and instability in light of global warming? Could it be that the computer models used for forecasting need some adaptation, or perhaps it is more chaotic?
    That should make you take your rain gear!

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

By the way, chance of rain refers to the percent of the area that's expected to receive rain, as I understand it. My wife and I had an argument about this a while back, she won so it stuck in my brain.

If there's any chance of rain it will rain… somewhere, unless the weatherman screws up. Which never happens of course :)

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

"By the way, chance of rain refers to the percent of the area that's expected to receive rain, as I understand it."

Close: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=pop

Chance of rain = (probability that it will rain somewhere) x (percent of area expected to receive rain, if it occurs at all)

If there is a 40 percent chance of rain, then "the correct way to interpret the forecast is: there is a 40 percent chance that rain will occur at any given point in the area."

"I wonder what the stats are for weather pattern change and instability in light of global warming? Could it be that the computer models used for forecasting need some adaptation, or perhaps it is more chaotic?"

I think one of the primary reasons weather forecasts may be inaccurate is due to a lack of data. If they could have weather instruments every 100 yards that supply real-time updates and if they had massive computing power, I think their predictions would be more accurate. Also, if any one is like me, they don't remember all the times the forecasters were right – just the times they were wrong.

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools