Topic

Lightweight 2P Tent Search

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight 2P Tent Search

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    R Petrelli

@rydia131

I am starting my search for a new 2P backpacking tent. My current one is the Kelty Grand Mesa 2. Ive been happy with it but were looking to upgrade. Were either looking for something bigger than a 29 sq in total floor area, as it is my wife and I and our dog. The other important spec for us is were looking to get under the 4lb 10oz total pack weight. If we can get both of these in one tent then great! But if we can only get one or the other then it would still be worth the upgrade. The one thing were trying to avoid is floorless shelters or tarps. I like the ability to get into the tent, zip up, and not think about anything crawling on my face throughout the night. Thanks in advance!!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Depending on the size of your dog you should consider the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. It has two vestibules and entrances and mine weighs (with the standard floor, a polycro groundsheet, and 6 stakes) just under 51 ounces.

Note – I use my trekking poles for the tent. If you don't normally use trekking poles then you'll have to buy the poles offered on the site and add the weight of them to the tent.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

It's an older one, but still great. I think it has the most useable space. SMD also has others that might suit you.
    I also have a Go-Lite Shangri-la 3 that is a good pick for windy or snowy conditions. If you need bug net, you might want to use something other than the one Go-lite sells for it, it's pretty heavy.
    (I actually got a Shangi-la 5, too, for winter trips with lots of gear).
    Tarptent has a lot good shelters. I've haven't owned any of his two-person shelters so I can't offer any personal feedback.

R Petrelli

@rydia131

Thank you both for your comments. While the lunar duo setup was interesting, we dont have trekking poles yet so using them as poles wont work. The shangri-la 3 looks awesome and Im very interested in it, especially for the price right now on golites site. A couple questions about the tent though, does the nest come with the tent or is the a seperate cost? Also is the nest factored into the total 4lb 5oz weight listed on the site? And 59 sq ft seems huge! Is it really as spacious as that number suggests? Thanks for all the info!

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

You can buy poles for the lunar duo and I doubt they'd add much weight.
    As for the SL3, the weight of the fly with stakes and pole is about 2 lbs. 7 oz., I think.
    They used to sell the fly and bug net insert separately but now they seem to come as a set. Still a good price though and there have been times when we've used only the bug net. Lighter modifications can be made, however. Either DIY or there are a couple of places that sell lighter nets that will work.
    It is spacious but sleeping three isn't really practical, in my opinion. I do like being able to stand up to change clothes and not have to crawl to get inside.
    Old bones, you know. ;-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools