Topic

Not another pot thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Not another pot thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

O.k so it's another pot thread. BUT i open this thread after searching the forum and reading all the pot threads that were opened. but i think that the pot i need is slightly different.

her's my story, now i use a "traditional" aluminum camping pot, weighs 9.5oz/277g with the lid.
    pretty heavy huh?

i usually do long distance hikes in remote places and i don't have an access to those dry meals everyone's talking about (frankly i don't even know what it is but that is not the issue).
    what i do with my pot:
    1. Boil water for tea/coffee
    2. Cook pasta or noodles
    3. Cook rice
    4. Reheating canned food

basically whatever i can find in the tiny shops and mountain huts along the way.
    i am a solo hiker so i don't need a big pot a small will do

Budget wise- well i don't know how much does a good titanium/Aluminum pot costs so i am flexible at the moment.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I am assuming you want suggestions for a lighter pot?

Since you are cooking in your pot and not just boiling water for freezer bag cooking it can't be too small (i.e. trapper mug). If I were cooking in the pot for solo trips I would probably go with an MLD 850 (mug) or an Evernew 900 (pot).

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I recommend this:
    http://end2endtrailsupply.com/Stanco_Greasepot.html

3.7oz, 1.25L, $8

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Arthur is in the UK, correct?

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Evernew .9 liter low rise (traditional, not a tall mug) pot is great. Comes with a Teflon non-stick surface option or all titanium for a little less weight. For a cheaper option, however, the Trail Designs Hard Anodized Aluminum pot is a great bargain, and, I hear, great for cooking in the pot too. It's around $23. The Evernew is closer to $40.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

Ok so for cooking, not smaller than 900ml that's the deal?

what would be considered lightweight for a pot that size?

thanks for the pot suggestions i am currently checking the models that you guys suggested.

p.s
    little info about the aluminum vs titanium pos and cons would be great

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some of us have a 900ml pot that is tall and narrow, but a 900ml pot that is short and wider may boil faster, depending on your stove/burner. For a narrow flame pattern, you want a narrow pot, and for a wider flame pattern, you want a wider pot. If your flame pattern is too wide, then it overshoots the pot base, and efficiency is lost up the sides. If your flame pattern is too narrow, then it probably doesn't hurt too much for water boiling, but it will be tricky to do serious cooking with a hot spot.

I found good utility with a titanium bowl that has a capacity of about 600ml and weighs 1.8 ounces, but I only boil water in it.

–B.G.–

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

Have you considered a Stanco Grease Pot? It works well for one or two people.

Here are the particulars:

40 fluid oz = 1.3 Liter capacity

3.7 oz (for both the Pot & the Stock Lid combined – definitely very light)

$ 6.14 in cost (definitely more affordable than other pots on the market).

… It also comes with a grease strainer, which can be left at home.
    Or should you ever like to try a Bakepacker type insert for baking, you can trim the rim off the grease strainer, turn it upside down in the bottom of the pot, then it will nicely approximate a Bakepacker at zero cost. (just a fyi for the future)

You can also shave off almost 1 oz from the lid by getting rid of the large plastic knob. A bead, or paper clip are two of the possible substitutes.

The pots are available here:

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

There have been many good suggestions already. But are you carrying canned foods? If so, I would be more concerned about the weight of the cans, not a 9 ounce pot.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Check out the pots that Trail Designs (makers of Caldera Cones) offers. They have many sizes and finishes, from anodized aluminum to non-stick aluminum to Ti.

Remember, a pot that is <-w i d e r-> than it is tall is more efficient to heat.

BTW, For my solo use I've found Trail Design's 3 cup pot is all I need.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Over thirty years ago, I went on a trip with an old guy who had this all figured out.

He had no backpack bag, only a frame, so he lashed stuff onto the frame that he carried. For shelter, all he had was a large plastic tarp that he threw over a cord between two trees. For a sleeping bag, he had an old army surplus bag lashed on. For cooking, he had a box of matches, and he could pick up firewood. For food, he started with one big can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew. He opened it with his SAK, heated it, and ate it. Then he rinsed out the can and filled it with creek water to boil, and made his coffee there. While that was working, he opened a can of peaches and ate it. He had another can of something for breakfast. When he was done, all of the empty steel cans nested inside one another, and it was lashed onto the pack frame for the journey back out.

I would want to buy the Dinty Moore Beef Stew in a titanium can.

–B.G.–

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

1. My hiking experience is in European mountain areas and that dehydrated food is unheard of.

2. So i understand that for cooking i need a wider and shallow pot

3. Couple of guys suggested the Evernew 900 pot. is this the one?
    http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA252.htm

weighs 115 grams. does this includes the lid?

does this considered sufficiently lightweight or i can go lower?

4. The Stanco Grease Pot is 1.3L i think it's too big for one person. isn't it?

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

So if you're carrying canned food then you might want to go all the way and use the can to heat water in – no other pot needed.

For extra period flavor you use a can of Sterno or similar it can reheat canned food, heat water for tea/coffee (not boil) and it works great for rice also. Only thing on your list it can't do is make pasta.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

yes, that is the evernew pot often recommended. I use and can recommend the very similar MSR Titan Kettle. It is pretty light. If you wanted a comparable, lighter option you could look at the Mount Laurel Designs 850 pot at 96 grams for $47.

The stanco grease pot in my opinion is too large for one person. It is super light at 106 grams, but you would probably have to add another ounce for a pot lifter to make them comparable in function.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I weighed my Eevernew ECA252 900ml pot with lid and it was 110 grams with lid

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

if 1.3 liters is "too big for one person", but costs a fraction of, and weighs the same as (or less than) a titanium counterpart… isn't that a bonus?

Kmart Greasepot for the win.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

Ozzy McKinney, i really dont know why is that so.
    Stanco Greaspot wieghs less then the Evernew pot and is bigger and much cheaper.

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

I haven't gotten it yet but just ordered the 1L Evernew Pasta Pot ECA522. You mentioned you cooked pasta so the straining lid might come in handy. Also has a pour spout. 4.1 oz. with the lid.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Arthur,The Stanco grease pot is aluminum and the Evernew is titanium,that is the weight and price difference

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

Although being Aluminium the Stanco Grease pot still weighs less then the Evernew Titanium.

i thought that buying Titanium gear is all about saving weight but when you have aluminum gear that weighs less than what advantages are left for the titanium?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Titanium can take much higher heat. Does not dent as easily. Does not corrode. Aluminum is lighter but titanium is stronger so you can get away using thinner material.

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

I like the Antigravitygear 3-cup pot.
    Low profile style, so easy to cook with,
    710 ml, adequate for one person, but still small enough to use as a mug,
    2.25 ozs, plus 1.25 ozs for the lid or use Al foil, but you will need a pot grab.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"i thought that buying Titanium gear is all about saving weight but when you have aluminum gear that weighs less than what advantages are left for the titanium?"

Actually, no. Ti is about atomic weight 48. Al is about 27. Ti is about 60% more dense than Aluminum (unalloyed.) It is quite ductile (takes dents well and pulls wire easily) but, for cooking pots is alloyed with Aluminum resulting in a stiffer pot. Indeed, I fell on one and cracked it trying to unbend it.

Aluminum is LIGHTER than Titanium by a considerable margin. However, once it is alloyed with Aluminum (usually about 2/3 ti) it is a LOT stiffer. Making a pot of the same strength means that the pot will be roughly 1/2 as thick. So, it CAN be lighter. As I remember, only the older BPL pots were this thin, though. If you believe the old myth about Aluminum being bad for you, it doesn't matter, since it has Aluminum in it. It doesn't corrode with acidic foods much, though (tomato sauces, fruit fillings, etc.) Generally, the lightest aluminum pots will be lighter than Ti pots, but for generally manufactured stuff, weights of the lightest Ti pots are about the same as an Aluminum pot of the same capacity. Cost is about 8-10 times as much for Ti. A $5 1.3L grease pot(Al) will cost about $40-50 in Ti.

Ti does not conduct heat very well. With the Al added, it is better, but still it does not like to transfer heat as readily as AL. Gold, copper, and Al do far better. Roger C and I had quite a discussion on this about three or four years ago. He pointed out that the difference was only about 1-2% for thin walled camping pots, but I think he did not add for sideways conductance (along the material.) Anyway, Ti has a way of burning water. Aluminum does not. 2-4F over the same time period (to 200F or about boiling) seemed somewhat significant to me. Roger thought not. Thicker pots, of course, do worse.

Olicamp Hard Anodized XTS Pot (1-Litre) has a built in heat exchanger for use with any stove. I do not have one yet (1 liter is a bit small, I prefer a 1.3 liter) but would like to get one some day. Around $25-30 US. It weighs about 7oz but may be worth it in fuel savings (I go through about 2.75oz of alcohol or 1oz of WG per day.)

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

After reading James's reply i see less and less advantages to Titanium pots :|

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools