Topic

Alcohol For Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alcohol For Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Calicott

@shortmancal

Locale: Arkansas!

How much does 8 fl oz of alcohol weigh? Also, if I’m using the Brasslite Turbo F Stove for a weekend outing, how much alcohol will I need to just boil water for 2 meals a day for 2 days?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I usually bring 4 oz. Usually an once is enough to boil water.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

wt is related to specific gravity of the liquid which also is related to the temp at which it is measured.

specific gravity is a dimensionless measurement which is defined as the ratio of density of the material to the density of water at a specified temperature.

specific gravity is often expressed as:

SG = ρ / ρH2O

where

SG = specific gravity

ρ = density of fluid

ρH2O = density of water

it’s common to use the density of water at 4 deg C as a reference. this is the temp at which the density of water is at the highest.

therefore, wt varies slightly depending upon type of alchohol & temp conditions.

w/o going into more precise detail, which prob. isn’t necessary for your purposes, figure, roughly, alcohol weighs ~80% of what a similar volume of water weighs.

since we’re talking of “rough”, or approximate, values this applies to both ethyl alcohol & denatured alcohol.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools