Topic

Event vs other Wpb materials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Event vs other Wpb materials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

I have been looking to drop some weight with my Rain gear, current setup is a Montane Event Quickfire jacket and Rab Bergen Event trousers, both weigh about 11oz each, and it seems to me if I want drop weight I need to look at other materials.

Can anyone who has experience with both Event and lighter materials comment if the extra weight of Event is worth it.

One big issue I have with trousers is I have always used boots in the past and so I need 3/4 zips on the trousers due to taking a size 13 in boots, but I have started using Trail runners so can get away with 1/4 zips.

Cheers,

Stephen

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Can anyone who has experience with both Event and lighter materials comment if the extra weight of Event is worth it."

A lot depends on how you will be using the jacket/pants. If you are purely a trail hiker, you can get just about the same breathability with Dri Ducks or O2 Rainshield at about half the weight and ~15% of the cost of an Event garment. However, both tear very easily and will not stand up to bushwhacking. You'll have to decide based on your hiking style.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Tom,

Fair point.

In the US it will be mainly trail hiking as far as I know so far but when back in Ireland and Scotland it will be mostly off trail. I did have a look at the Dri ducks in Walmart a while back and the did look very fragile.

I am interested in the likes of Pertex shield etc, but I hear mixed reports on the breathability.

Cheers,

Stephen

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I have not used eVent because of the weight, but am very pleased so far with a Rab Pulse, which will probably replace an older Patagonia Specter.

The vapor transmission on the Pulse is clearly better than the Specter when walking up and down hill for an hour or so in heavy rain in temps in the 55-60 degree range, with little or no clamminess on the inside. When cold enough to wear a fleece pullover underneath, remained totally dry.

But the DWR on the Pulse is not as good as that on the Specter. The water jumps off the Specter after being recently refreshed in the dryer, but only beads on the Pulse. Only time will tell how that affects performance when hiking in the rain all day; however, the Specter still worked fine in all day mountain hiking in the rain before refreshing the DWR, even though it was then not even beading well.

The length on the XL (US) Pulse is about 1.5" shorter than the Specter, but comes well below the waist and is around 30" below the back of the neck seam, and is adequate for me, as I wear Baggies or very water resistant softshell pants in the rain.

The Pulse is lighter than the Specter, and has the advantage of a full separating zip (not a pullover like the Specter).

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Samuel,

Many thanks for the reply.

The Pulse does look a serious contender, I must try and find shop I can try one on in.

Any durability issues with the pulse?

Cheers,

Stephen

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have used the Bergen pants also so I know where you are coming from. The GoLite Tumalo pants will save you some ounces but they are not as durable as the Bergen's but much more than the DriDucks. Pertex Shield also tends to stretch and give. The new ones are not as breathable as eVent but if you are not running or pushing yourself hard I don't think you will notice. If you don't need a whole lot I would just go with a trash bag rain skirt.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

The new MontBell rain pants are supposed to weigh 3.6 ounces I think.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I have a Pulse, and I am quite enjoying it so far. The breathability is okay–nothing special, PU coating and all, but very solid for WPB fabrics. I find the DWR to be quite good as well. My old jacket was an REI that never really shed rain well, so I don't have much to compare it to, but everyone else I hike with wets out hours before me.

Check out Campsaver if you're interested. They have a fit guarantee, meaning they'll pay for you to ship a jacket back to you and send you the same jacket in a different size free as well. They were great to work with.

Also, pay close attention to the measurements. I found them to be on the slimmer side than stated in the shoulders. A problem for me, but not everyone.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Brett,

The Betgens are nice, I have used them a lot in Ireland and the Uk and the 3/4 zips do make them very easy to get on and off and to vent, I will definitely keep them for winter if I get a lighter pair, I hope to make it in to the Golite Boulder store next week to check out their lightweight rain gear.

Hi Paul,

I did look at the Montbells but I heard they recalled some of them, must look again.

Hi Clayton,

The Pulse does indeed look like a contender, must read some reviews when I get back from the Indian Peaks.

Cheers,

Stephen

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Stephen, have you read the recent State of the Market on rain jackets? That's what pushed me to try the Pulse. (Also, Dave Chenault lives nearby, so I know that he knows the conditions I'll use it in.)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Deleted

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Westcomb Focus LT eliminates the dichotomy between heavy eVent and a lighter but inferior WPB. This 7oz shell is available in a few weeks and uses new 2.5 layer eVent to ditch weight while retaining (or even improving) breathability.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Dan, I will be keeping an eye out for it.

David Ure

@familyguy

All for $600.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I think I will be passing on that, my 11oz Event shell will do me for another while :-)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Focus LT is $279 – nowhere near $600. Get it on CampSaver with free shipping (even to Canada) and the 20% off coupon (for signing up for their newsletter) and you're at $225 to your door. Pretty reasonable for an eVent shell, especially one made in Canada.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools