Topic

Identifying Types of Gore-Tex? (from the roll)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Identifying Types of Gore-Tex? (from the roll)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ozzz Saunders

@tctozz

Hi All…

New and my first post (have been a long time reader great site)

I was in a fabric store picking up some ripstop today and the guy asked if I was interested in Gore-tex (obviously). I can’t say I was too prepared or done enough research on Gore-tex to be able to identify the type (2 layer 3 layer) or if it was indeed gore-tex at all. So I grabbed a few yards to dangle with, but not knowing has got the better of me and I want to know what it is..lol

Here is what I have… if anyone would be willing to help identify it for me, I'd be quite thankful…lolGore-tex

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Measurements and weight might help.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have some 2.5 layer eVent – the inside surface has sort of a grid that's maybe 1/32 inch in each direction

I have some 2 layer eVent – inside surface is uniform white color

That's probably applicable to Gore-Tex

If you had 3 layer, it would have a seperate inner fabric that's not attached

Ozzz Saunders

@tctozz

Thanks Jerry, it makes sense. It also has the tiny square pattern on the bottom and it holds water just fine so whatever it is – it works.

Sorry Eugene – not around me ole scale…

edvin mellergĂĄrd
    BPL Member

@edvin

Locale: Gothenburg, Sweden

No, that's not correct.

2-layer is outer nylon fabric + membrane

2.5-layer is outer nylon fabric + membrane + inner protective layer

3-layer is outer nylon fabric + membrane + inner nylon layer

The clothing manufacturer adds an extra layer(most of the time some kind of net) when they sew stuff with 2-layer fabrics to protect the membrane from wear from the inside.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Since Gore and eVent laminate uses a Teflon, they will be white and slippery on exposed, two layer versions. Other brand laminates/coatings often use a urethane
    which is a bit more rubbery and stickier.

Goretex has become a generic name at some fabric stores, so ask if you can see the
    tags.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools