Topic

SHR from Road’s End to ~Virginia Lake July 30th

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SHR from Road’s End to ~Virginia Lake July 30th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Foley
    Spectator

@jfelectron

I have a permit for 6 entering Road's End on July 30th. I'm aiming to travel via the SHR as far as ~Virginia Lake over 8 or 9 days of hiking. This works out to about 15mpd. We'd need to stash a car at Lake Edison to make this work logistically. Anyone interested? If someone has better logistical ideas, I'm open to that.

Jonathan Foley
    Spectator

@jfelectron

SOFT-START: Onion Valley TH, make Road's End in 1 long day of hiking
    TRUE START: Road's End, King's Canyon
    END: Red's Meadow/Mammoth or another East Side TH further south

If we bail early we can take advantage of the ESTA buses.

8/9 days, ~ 15 miles per day. I have a permit for 6 from Road's End.

This will follow Roper's Sierra High Route:

http://www.onthetrail.org/shr.html

I intend to travel as far as Red's Meadow over 8 or 9 days of hiking. This will amount to roughly 15 miles per day over demanding terrain. We"ll be hiking all day and will move safely and efficiently. I'm not a task master, but I like to have goals. If we end up traveling more slowly or need to exit to due injuries, exit via any east side trailhead is possible. Transportation along the 395 corridor is quite good through a combination of the ESTA buses and hitching.

To facilitate the logistics of this, I plan to start from Onion Valley. This is about 20 miles east of Road's End and involves climbing to Kearsarge Pass and descending to Kind's Canyon. I plan to drive up Saturday, put a few miles in and do the remainder on Sunday. Sunday night will be spent at Road's End.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hey Jonathan.

Logistically the updated plan sounds more do-able. Should be an incredible hike.

Are you coming from somewhere South of Independence? Hypothetically speaking, if someone is coming from the south, and someone else is coming down 395 (from the north), they could meet at Red's, leave the northbound traveler's vehicle there and head to Onion Valley together.

So you're talking about heading up Sat, Jul 28?

Are you planning on ascending Kearsarge Pass that day?

Do you have some idea of where you want to be camped each night?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools