Topic

Raw Oreos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://gazingin.com/2012/06/16/raw-oreos/

I made these for a hike I did yesterday. They tasted better as they warmed up, the raw coconut butter melting across your tongue is amazing….

Photobucket

Raw Oreos

Ingredients:

1 cup raw cashews
    1 1/3 cups Medjool dates, pitted (measured after pitting, pressing in, used 17 dates)
    3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/8 + 1/16th tsp fine sea salt (which is a Dash + Pinch = Pinch Dash Smidgen Measuring Spoons)
    ½ cup Raw Coconut Butter
    2 Tbsp raw honey or agave nectar

Directions:

Add the cashews through salt to a food processor bowl, process on high until finely chopped and it comes together in a ball. Remove and put on a sheet of parchment paper, top with another sheet of parchment paper, press flat with your hands, then roll to cookie thickness with a rolling-pin. Take off the top layer and cut out 2″ circles, saving the scraps. Re-roll out as many times as you need, till you use up the mixture and have about 26 cookies. Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer and let set up for about an hour.

Meanwhile place the coconut butter, sealed, in a bowl of hot water and let it soften to a liquid. Measure out and stir the honey or agave into it, beating until firmed up with a spoon. Divide between 13 of the cookies, placing a ball on each one, about 2 teaspoons worth. Press a cookie on top and gently squeeze to seal, pushing the filling between, or spread the filling with a frosting spatula. Store in the refrigerator wrapped. To avoid sticking, place parchment paper between the filled cookies if stacking.

Makes about 13 filled cookies.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Sarah,

You had me at "Medjool dates." Those look divine!

Susan

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

They were so tasty!

Nicholas Meadors

@nickoli

Locale: Teh Front Range

I had always thought straight from the bag to my tongue was the best delivery method for coconut butter, but now that I've seen these….

Making them. Right now.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Heh! I hope you love them as much as I did :-)

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

Thank you Sarah for posting this up and other stuff. You are very helpful and informative.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Thank you Justin! :-)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sarah – do you know of a substitute for coconut butter that would work? I'm not that crazy about coconut, and where I live, I'd probably have to mail order it. Just plain ol' margarine?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Sarah, these look fabulous, thanks so much! Would using cashew butter work instead of cashews, or would that be too thin?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Granny, you can use raw almond butter (chunky is best) or anything similar for the filling, mixed with the honey. It is good!

Doug…use the whole nuts, it helps form the sticky dates into a bar form :-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Sarah,

Any reason these wouldn't keep on a 5-7 day trip, even in warm/hot weather?

Thanks.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Just that they would get soft, but yes, you could carry them. They taste best when freshly prepared. If you do carry them for longer I would wrap each one singly to keep it fresh.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Gosh Sarah, what a fabulous recipe. Made a batch tonight and they are fabulous. I used a scotch glass to cut out the cookies, so they're 2.75" diameter instead of 2", but that just gives me bigger cookies! Yes!

I made half the batch per above, and made the other half filling with 1/8 cup raw coconut butter and 1/8 cup Cacao Bliss so I'd get a chocolate filling instead of just 'vanilla.' Oh my. Delish. Truly. I also rolled out the last bit of dough into an oval, let it set for just a bit so I could still roll it, put filling in it and rolled it into a raw canoli! What fun!

Thanks again Sarah for this terrific recipe. It's even, more or less, primal compliant (a bit of cheating, but not much!).

Next I'm going to experiment with raw macadamias instead of cashews, then pecans, then maybe walnuts. Perhaps I'll do one recipe where I mix three or four nuts into the batch! I love a recipe that's so easy to fiddle with!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Don't worry, Doug–they won't last 3 days on the trail. Either you'll eat them all in one sitting, or the critters will snag them and tell their buddies about it, or any camp mates will find them and munch them all down. It's probably best if you just vacuum seal them in 3-packs and don't tell anybody you brought them. The only chance you'll have is to slip off for a 'potty break,' far from camp, indulge, then brush and floss and rinse well. No one will be the wiser, for maybe a day or two. You can always say, "Geez, It's not my fault,–Sarah made me do it!"

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Too true Gary, too true! ;-)

Heck, I didn't get 13 cookies out of my batch because I kept 'sampling' the dough! I also thought, as I made these, that if someone makes their own ice cream, this 'cookie dough' would be a great addition for homemade cookie dough ice cream!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hah you two! I know….they are way addicting! Tomorrow I am taking raw almond "cheese" (made with soaked almond and fresh Thyme from my garden) on my hike with a fresh baked loaf of bread. Oinks. I can't wait :-D

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

That Cacoa Bliss is wonderful even on it's own Douglas. I'd bet it was amazing in these cookies.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

@ Doug (or anyone else who tries variations) PLEASE report back.

@ Sarah–those look very tasty!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Oh there will be more…I am always looking for excuses to use my Vitamix and my food processor ;-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

So, made the cookies with raw pecans tonight. Mmmmmmm. Quite tasty. Not a significant difference in taste, but enough to make it new. Dough still stuck together fine, cookies came out fine. Macadamias will be next, probably next weekend.

And this is gonna gross out some, but I gotta tell ya, a slice of Black Forest Dry Rub bacon in one of these is Damn fine. Damn fine. ;-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Must.Try. ;-) Yum!!

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

@ Doug and Sarah,

Have you made any of these in squares? They wouldn't look as good, but they might be easier to pack. Of course the round shape might actually be helpful when you're putting them into a bear canister.

@ Doug

The bacon sounds strange, but good…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I often make my bars in a loaf pan that I line with plastic wrap, shill, knock out and cut. I suspect you could do this and make two sets, fill, cut and top :-)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

When I made my batch, I wasn't about to cut little circles and re-roll scraps, so I just cut the dough into rectangles and added the filling. Somehow I ended up with one mate-less rectangle, probably from my snacking on them, so I cut it into two triangles and added filling. No difference in taste! Luckily, my door was locked to keep out the circle police.

As for fillings, I tried almond butter and peanut butter and what I call lemon glop, which is a modification of a recipe previously posted here on BPL: 1 C nuts, 1 C honey, 1 C dates, 1 whole lemon. Grind it all up! I'm going to try leaving out the vanilla and adding another TB of cocoa in the crust recipe in my next batch.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ooh yum!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools