Topic

Sleeping system for the Indian Peak Colorado

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping system for the Indian Peak Colorado

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Stephen,

At the time of my Arapaho Pass trip 3 years ago my Megalite did not have overfill. I had it overfilled 1 oz. (850 cu. in.) last fall so I will likely get at least a 5 F. lower temp range. BUT… with the overfill it's now not possible to shake down from the bottom to the top and vice-versa. The bag now looks more like the Michelien Man.

As I said earlier, I wore a Thermolite insulated jacket and pants that night. Because it was a Megalite bag (wider torso) there was room for that insulated suit. I think with the overfill it is actually good for a 10 F. lower temperature rang. i.e. 20 F. but I haven't had the temps to test that assumption.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Eric,

I am surprised that one ounce of down adds that much warmth.

Nice one :-)

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

sorry I missed your follow up question. Looks like you've got plenty of info to go with, but I thought I'd chime in since I've been spending a lot of time in IPW lately. I hiked to buchanan last week and there wasn't much snow. There are a few patches near the pass that can be easily avoided by veering slightly north and skipping a few switchbacks (it will be obvious.) I cowboy camped at crater lake last night with a 40 degree quilt and neo air xtherm, and woke up quite hot in the middle of the night. Used the same setup with a tarp about a month ago on the edge of tree line on a snowy night at around 11,000 and stayed plenty warm. YMMV, and of course conditions change, but IMO a 10 deg bag and even a 20 deg bag are overkill in summer.
    I'd definitely go with trail runners if you've got some your comfortable hiking in. I've mainly been wearing merrell trail gloves up there with no issues to speak of.

Enjoy your hike. Thats a great route! Lone eagle cirque has to be one of the coolest alpine settings I've been to.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

@Serge – Thanks for your up-to-the-minute report on conditions at Buchanan Pass and Crater Lake. I called the Boulder Ranger Station on Monday and they said most snow was gone at Buchanan Pass, but they had no data on Pawnee Pass conditions. By any chance did you cross back over Pawnee on your way out?

Stephen's in for a treat once we hit the trail.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Serge,

Thanks for getting back.

Unfortunately I was not able to source a lighter bag in time so if its too warm I will use my 10f bag like a quilt, I sleep cold so having the warmer bag may be no harm.

As its my first time in the Rockies my base weight for the trip is 6.5kgs all in, I reckon starting off the trail will be 10kgs, for my next trip I will probaly be able to get my base weight down to 5.5kgs with a lighter sleeping bag and rain gear, I have packed Micro spikes just in case.

I have packed 3000 calories for each day.

Cheers,

Stephen

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Hi stuart, pawnee has just about no snow on it. No need for microspikes. From what I remember, there is only one place where you cross some snow, which is low angle about 15 feet across with obvious steps from other hikers, and this is at the very start of the ascent.

Stephen, hope I didn't imply that a 30 deg bag is completely necessary or anything. You'll be totally fine with your 10 draped over you. This forum is at its best when we provide solid UL info for each other, but sometimes we just inspire each other to buy more $h*+. Have a blast on your trip, and feel free to fire me a PM if you have any more questions. Will be headed back up to brainard in the morning.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Serge,

I normally have a 30f bag for summer but have been testing out a a quilt and hoodless bag which I sold but left it too late to get a replacement.

That's good to kno Micro spike are not needed, thats another 400g our of the bag :-)

Cheers,

Stephen

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I did the nearby Mt. Audubon yesterday after work and I was amazed how little snow there was for this time of the year.

No need for any special equipment. Enjoy the wildflowers while you can; think it is going to be short season if the heat keeps up.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Pual,

I have taken the Micro Spikes out of my bag :-)

I am really looking forward to it.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi folks,

The trip went very well, the area is truely amazing.
    I did get beaten up a bit by the heat and the altidue.

Will post a trip report tomorrow :-)

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Bumped in error, please ignore

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools