Topic

Map & compass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Map & compass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Come on Roger, you're a scientist… move with the times.
    Yep, I'm a scientist. I learnt a long time ago to evaluate the evidence carefully, and to avoid following the herd down the vendors's alley. So what hard facts do I have?

I'm 66. I have used map and compass (and the sun) since I was a Boy Scout. I have always got to where I was aiming, depite deep forest, thick fog, and bad weather. And there has been plenty of that too. Hum – that's a pretty good track record for a map and compass, isn't it? And I have never run out of batteries on the compass.

My conclusion from these facts is that a map and compass works just fine.

A scientific evaluation?

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Diane- my 27 is the same one I've been carrying since my days as a Wilderness Ranger in the Bob Marshall (where it got a good workout pinpointing camping sites on a topo- this was pre- GPS days! :)) it's possible the quality isn't what is was, not sure

looking at the Silva line, the Silva Guide 426 looks to be very similar to my 27, again can't comment on quality on the newer ones however

for the price, might be worth giving it a go???

Mike

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Silva compasses now sold in the USA are not made in Finland, but China. Get a Suunto. I have not been impressed with the Brunton compasses either.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

greetings
    i failed to bookmark it, but out there in internet land is a website by one of our members that has some absolutely stellar information of compass workings, and dirt of silva. i would think his site is about the last word on all you'd ever want to know about which compass to carry. punt about for it, you'll find it.
    i carry a compass on a brightly colored lanyard (the knot is glued) around my neck. in this way i can check quite often to make sure i'm not off vector on a bushwack in the sticks.
    if it's brushy enough to put the side shields on my glasses, it's plenty dang brushy enough to want a compass.
    i currently carry the Suunto M3G. it's a truly nice bit of gear, and avail at deep discount off amazon.

cheers,
    peter v.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Ken,

Silva and Brunton on are the Same company.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

appears Suunto makes a similar compass to the Ranger 27, called the MCB

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I also like a mirrored compass and downsized to a Suunto MCA-D IN which has a clear base plate versus the MCB and it has a much more substantial hinge on the mirror. Wish it had declination adjustment but I work around that. 1.4 oz. with out the lanyard.

http://www.suunto.com/us/en/products/Fieldcompasses/suunto-mca/suunto-mca-d-in

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Are you sure about that Stephen? Johnson Outdoors own a bunch of brands including Silva. Primus is a sister company to Brunton.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi John,

I am definitely sure, Brunton kit is just rebadged Silva.

Cheers,

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

There are still good Silvas

http://silva.se/

We just don't see them here. Check the Where to Buy section of the website.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

The best baseplate type compass I have come across bar none (I am an ex-orienteer and Mountain Marathon competitor) is the Moscow compass:
    http://www.moscompass.ru/mc/index-en.html

The needle is so fast and yet well damped, you can reliably use this type of compass whilst on the run.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Hi,

Why bubble is bad? I use my compas for about 20 years. My dad bought me this compass. I think the bubble always was there. Why it's bad? It maybe used even as a leveling tool :)

Regarding SUBJ, I always carry compass + color printed topo map of the area where I hike. For me it's a MUST. I use compass maybe 3-4 times in year, but it saved me alot of time I could spend walking in wrong direction.

I don't have GPS receiver at all. Thought about eTrex 10, but still not sure whether I need one…

If we talk here about compasses, what are the best ones for both navigation and as an emergency compass (tiny). Saw that ($34) suunto MCA-D (42 gram = 1.5 oz):

Looking good. Mirror is great multiuse tool. I think I will grab one.
    But then I saw this one, full of features and expensive ($84) Suunto MC-2 Global (74 gram = 2.6 oz)

So what is clinometr? I suppose it measures declination, but how it knows it? It's something that corrects the north-pointing arrow? I wonder it's so much heavier and expensive, why?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Clinometer is for measuring the angle of a slope, think avalanche. A bubble in your compass will expand as you gain elevation. If it gets large enough it will effect the operation of the compass needle.

That expensive model is expensive because it has a global needle, so it will work on both hemispheres. Heavier because the housing for the needle is taller and has more liquid in it. Plus it is a full size compass. I've had the predecessor for 20 years.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Good to know that. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools