Topic

Daypack recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Daypack recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Any suggestions for an UL daypack that holds around 20 L and is durable enough for travel? I'm not shooting for something SUL–I want comfort and extra pockets for convenience when I go traveling. I might try to stick with the big manufacturers.

Thoughts?

I tried out this one today whilst at the store:

http://www.backcountry.com/osprey-packs-raptor-18-hydration-pack-1100cu-in

1 lb, 7 oz advertised. Something closer to 1 lb would be ideal, while not going too minimalist (I'd like to retain plenty of padding, extra pockets, and durability).

I will likely carry 2 L of water in a Platypus 2 L reservoir or Platy Hoser with hydration tube, some spare clothing, food, travel guide / maps, camera, writing utensils, ipad (when traveling), etc.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I've been suggesting this one a lot lately, but it's light and still feature rich- Hornet 24- the caveat is if your going to carry it a lot is insure the torso fits as they are non-adj- the do come in two sizes however S/M, M/L

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Check out the Mountain Hardwear Fluid 18 or Fluid 26. Very nice pack, I have the 35 liter version and love it. They also make a 12 liter version if you need a smaller pack.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

To Mikes suggestion. I have the Hornet 24 and have used it three times in the last five weeks. It is a pretty sweet pack for 20 ounces. Great hipbelt with very lightweight shoulder straps that essentially just keep the pack from falling backward as the belt does all the work along with the foam framesheet. It's got a few pockets that'll get you organized as well. I couldn't find any other lighter options that also fit my needs. Zpacks and Zimmerbuilt are great if you need a custom built option that'll be lighter and exactly what you want. I will probably try one or the other next year. We'll see. Good luck on your research.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=61424

And Zacks current thread http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65210

edited to add links above.

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

I use an REI Flash 18 for everyday, and for day hikes. Takes a 2 litre hydration pack and everything I need for a day and weighs next to nothing. Has sternum strap and waist strap for stability if any scrmbling involved. Inexpensive too. What's not to like? p.s. can also use it as a stuff sack in a big "main" pack

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

There is no way this pack will carry more than a few pounds comfortably. All its weight is on your shoulders.

I love the Flash 18 and use it all over town and for a summit/day pack when backpacking.

Just my two cents.

andrew brown

@abrown3mtg

Locale: High Rockies

If you use the flash 18, opt for an osprey water bladder…. it gives the back of the flash 18 a nice stiff, supportive, comfortable form…… I'm not a minimalist either, but it has made the flash 18 pretty comfy for me. also, the newer flash 18's have an extra pocket or 2 for organization.

before I stuck an osprey bladder in one, I didn't even consider it…

also, the osprey bladders are much easier to get in/out of your main pack to stick into the flash if you bring it along on a backpacking trip. With previous bladders, I simply didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to stuff them back into the hydration sleeve…

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Would it work to just drop a piece of very thin plastic next to the back in the hydration sleeve (not sure of a source–but I am thinking of something equivalent to milk jug plastic or perhaps slightly thicker)? I like the Osprey bladder, but it is quite heavy at something like 10 oz.

I've been thinking a Flash 18 too, but I think I might hold out to see what the new GoLite Ion comes out like.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

And Stoke 19. The torsos on those are both really short. So even with the hip belt on the Stoke 19, if the pack is on your hips, the straps wrap far down your back and it is quite uncomfortable. The Hornet 24 is much more comfortable and will handle the higher weights you may need it to better than either of the other packs.

Hopefully the pack companies will note that this short torso thing is not the best idea in order to cut the total weight of a pack and make the torso on next years offerings anatomically correct.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I own the Flash 18 but honestly you don't need the hip belt if you are carrying the light loads it's intended for. I cut my hip belt off it. Completely unnecessary on that pack.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Thanks all for the replies.

Do you know if any of these packs would contain storage pockets for assorted items (pens, pencils) that would be useful for travel?

Trying to purchase a do-it-all pack that has the technical features for 14er summits in Colorado and urban jaunts. I try to integrate my backpacking technique into my daily life–people often look at me strange when I am constantly drinking out of my Platy 2.0 L bladder when at work, but I just tell them that it is all about space to weight ratios…

Mal Hooper
    BPL Member

@malligator

Locale: Valley of the Sun

I just got a Black Diamond Nitro 22L. Not SUL in any way shape or form, but it does have an aluminum frame sheet, hydration pouch, side pockets, valuables pocket, kangaroo pocket, and axe/pole loops. I use it daily for work and on weekends for day hikes. Love it.

Arch Martin
    BPL Member

@sui_iuris

Locale: Southeast

Cold Cold World – Ozone
    http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/ozone.htm

With spectra grid, the weight can go as low as 22 oz. "I want comfort" – this pack will be custom fitted to you and easily capable of hauling the gear your listed. It is sub $100, making it cheaper than the hornet. The hornet 24 looks good, also. BUT, it sounds like you have some ideas or experience with what features work for you. Going with the Ozone, you can have that pack made with any material and feature you want.

Lots of talk and pictures of CCW packs here:
    http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2012/05/climbing-packs-part-4.html

Good info in all 4 parts of the climbing packs series. You did say summit pack :)

Peace,
    Arch

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like the Ospry Stratos 24 for its vertically stiff framesheet and well padded hipbelt. The mesh backpanel is also a plus for comfort and cooling.

Yeah, $99. is a lot for a daypack but I use them a lot and when my (framed) German VauDe pack finally gives up it will be some version of the Stratos 24 that I'll buy.

P.S. If I'm missing out on any other good frame sheet daypack let me know. The Eddie Bauer expandable day-to-overnight pack also has its charms.

Matthew Reese
    BPL Member

@bradktn

I am partial to the Granite Gear Vapor Day. It's not UL by any means, weighs about 2 pounds, but it is very versatile and comfortable. The foam back is comfortable and provides for some load transfer to the hip belt, which is removable. Nice big zip-up back pocket for wet stuff, side pockets for snacks. If you snap the waist belt around the back it works well as a travel pack, and will also stand up by itself in that configuration. the bladder pocket then becomes a good place for an iPad or small laptop. Not much internal organization, but I think that adds to the versatility. The only thing I don't like about it is the weird hard plastic outlet for the bladder hose, but you sort of the get the hang of it after a while.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools