Topic

hiker mauled by bear, climbs tree, calls 911

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion hiker mauled by bear, climbs tree, calls 911

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Alan henson

@355spider

Locale: DFW

I wonder if he had spray or a firearm?

Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

Sounds like he handled the situation perfectly. Lucky he had cell reception too.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

That wouldn't work here. Our bears climb trees. He shouldn't have been alone and he should've had bear spray. Otherwise, he was quite lucky.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

[…]

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

> but there was a time over a hundred years ago, when MAN was a predator and not prey to bears.

Roger,

Or less than a month ago.

I'm refining my bear stew weekly now, and if I prepare it just like beef stew, but add lots of liquid and let it simmer for 3 hours before making the gravy and tossing in the potatos, onions and carrots, the meat comes out nice and tender.

If you're not going to eat it, don't hunt or fish for it, IMO.

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

I can't fathom why anyone who hikes in brown bear habitat doesn't carry some kind of defensive weapon. I wouldn't go hiking with anything smaller than .45 ACP. It may not stop the bear but it has enough ballistic muscle to make it reconsider it's position. Certainly beats having your back used as tartare.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Eventual extra gear takes us out of the UL or even lightwt categories, though habitat must be considered. We haven't lost any Alaskans yet, so nylon crusted UL HIKER in a salty sweat sauce doesnt seem to be on the menu so far.

We can always play it safe, but besides a firearm for bear defense, add a climbing helmet -worn in case a fatal widowmaker falls on you while hiking (no joke, it's happened), flares, 200 ft' of climbing rope, a SPOT and an ACR transceiver, full FAK with splints, Sawyer bite kit (extract snake and insect venoms), and calf high, leather combat boots, an Arcteryx Bora 65 to pack it all, and we will be all set for the wilderness. A few miles into the wilderness anyways.

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

I was way overboard. I'm going to coat myself in honey and head for the Katmai.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools