Topic

wind blocker/ heat reflector for stoves.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear wind blocker/ heat reflector for stoves.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Madeline T

@madscot13

I was thinking of making a new wind blocker/ heat reflector for my pots. I was thinking of using aluminum or titanium (but most likely aluminum for the price). It would be pretty simple just a 4-6" tall piece of metal that rolled up and I could be stored in the pot when I was not using it. I have the reflector that came with my primus stove but it is so beat up. I don't want a piece of metal that needs to be folded.

Does anyone know a good gauge for the metal to use? and where to get it?

Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I make windscreens out of 0.003" thick titanium foil. Aluminum may have to be a lot thicker.

You want to give some thought into this. How tall is your pot? If you are just going to spiral the windscreen and stick it into the pot, then the pot inside better be tall enough, otherwise you are going to have to fold the windscreen.

Lots of people intentionally fold their windscreen accordion-fashion to strengthen it and help it stand upright, and it can be collapsed and stored inside the pot for transport.

–B.G.–

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Many people in the US use aluminium flashing. It's 0.23mm thick(ish).

You might like to have a look at my windshield tool.

Tony Mull

@tonymull

Locale: Western Washington

The flashing works great. Home Depot or Lowes. You can punch holes with the same hole punch you use for a cat stove, just a little harder. Otherwise easy to cut and work with using snips or a dremel.

Madeline T

@madscot13

I think I might use larger pots than others on the forum. I usually cook for large groups. I tend to use a 1.5 L pot at the smallest and move up to 4L. I was thinking of using a piece of rolled metal with memory that would keep its shape and sort of hug the pot by rolling against it. I think it will get hot but I don't think the flame will touch it. I understand the folding idea; I would just like to head in a different direction.

I might have to go back to menard's and try to find some al flashing- not a flashing al ;)

I might also try that link.

thanks!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I made one out out of kitchen foil, not sure how long it will last though.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

I made a windscreen out of heavy duty Reynold's Wrap Alum foil.
    Folded in half length-wise to get the right height it seems durable after about 20 uses, but it's so lightweight that it blows around in the breeze. Adding 5 jumbo sized paper clips to the bottom helped, but it's still not as stable as my buddies screen that came with his Whisperlite.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

I prefer aluminum oven liners, very easy to work with and more durable than aluminum foil.

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Howdy,

another option is stainless steel shim stock. .003 or .005, i can't recall. Got a 6" x 24" piece on Amazon for cheap. Great for prototypes as well.

stephan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools