Topic

MYOG synthetic quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG synthetic quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

So I finished a MYOG summer synthetic quilt a couple weeks ago. I've had it on one 2 night, 3 day trip and so far love how it performs. I ended up using Tigoat 8D for the liner and Momentum 50 for the shell, with Climashield Apex 2.5 for insulation. The dimensions ended up being around 78" long, 56" at widest point, 46" at the very top, and 40" at the foot. Used a drawstring footbox with omni-tape and 2 size 20 snaps to hold it all together. I also used a snap and drawstring to bring the top together with a few grosgrain loops in the middle in case I really need to cinch it tight. I also put together a nice little padded pillow case for my Flexair pillow. I used to layers of the Apex and 8D for the top and the M50 on the bottom. The pillow case turned out awesome and it's very comfortable with the Apex for padding on top of my pillow.

Quilt= 12.5oz
    Pillowcase= 2oz

asklldddd
    quilt
    pillow
    quiltjfkk

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

Great looking quilt Sean. I like the look of the 8D liner, is that the grey pictured on the Ti Goat site? How does it feel against the skin? Also did you find the 8D and/or M50 hard to work with? Im shooting for 12 or 13 ounces when I make next quilt and these fabrics seem like the best way to get there.

James Dieffenwierth

@shorembo

Locale: SWFLA

Looks great!…I want one.
    So…is there a pattern?
    Where can I get the materials?
    Is it going to be $250 or $30?

I am breaking out 1966 Singer out to make a pack for my wife and this looks like a great project to do at the same time.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Yes that is the 8D from Tigoat's site, it's much darker than I imagined it but I really like it more than a standard grey. Yes it is very nice on the skin, much nicer than the M50 in my opinion. Both materials were quite tricky to work with. However, after I finished my quilt I saw on here someone that used a strip of newspaper on top of the insulation to keep it from getting caught on the presser foot. You could also use some of that basting tape on top of it. Unless you would sew it like a down quilt where you use a rolled hem on all four edges instead of the pillowcase method most people are using these days.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

James,

I think I came out spending about $120 for everything, but I bought a little extra fabric and the snap setting kit as well. You should be good at $90-$100 is my guess.

I went roughly off a drawing another member posted in his MYOG quilt thread. These 2 threads should get you started on the right foot. Good luck.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=63312

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64111&startat=20

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools