Topic

Jetboil warranty won’t return my cup!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jetboil warranty won’t return my cup!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Scott Higashi

@shigspeed

I had a Jetboil Sol Ti cup and some fins melted. The cup had been modified by me before this happened, but the mods didn't cause the fin melt, they weren't completely soldered to the cup so they overheated. I was only boiling water at the time of the failure – first use. No scorching or other signs of misuse on the cup.

Anyway, I contacted Jetboil and told them what happened. I mentioned that I had modified the cup but they said to send it in anyway.

So, now they say that the modifications voided the warranty, and since the cup is no longer safe to use, they refuse to ship it back to me as-is.

They offered to sell me a replacement cup at "cost" but it's really only a few bucks less than I can get a new one online at other outlets.

Basically, they've confiscated my property with no offer to replace or reimburse. I think the "buy at cost" option is BS.

Anyone have a similar experience? Suggestions?

_SHig

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Take it back to rei and return it.

Scott Higashi

@shigspeed

I wish I could… I shipped it back to Jetboil and they're keeping it! Won't give it back. Taking ownership of it. Occupy Scott's Jetboil.

I'm not entirely certain that that action is legal.

_SHig

Ben Barlin

@ben-ln

Same happened to me. Eventually they replaced it with another Jetboil product. It took many many emails abd then finnaly the response. PM me if you want details. You just have to keep at them.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

You're basically screwed. To get it back you'll have to spend time (maybe money too) or you cut your losses.

First run it up the food chain. Speak with a manager, then the manager's manager et.al, take notes and record all correspondences. When they finally stonewall you or don't return your property ask to speak with their legal department. This will usually be enough to get them to make amends, either by returning your property or giving you a replacement.

If STILL they don't do anything then take your receipts and RMA info (you do have them right?) and you'll have to file in your local small claims court. Ask for monetary compensation to equivalent to the cost of the item + damages for time spent and court fees (document your time well and multiply by your equivalent hourly wage at work or minimum wage if unemployed). Depending on jurisdiction usually small claims court may or may not allow you to hire a lawyer (usually not).

Pain in the ass but if the principal and the cost are worth it then a judge will most likely side with you (especially if your "damages" are reasonable and not a million dollars or something).

In the future, you modified the product which should ALWAYS mean you voided the warranty. Never trust the company representatives, usually you're talking to some peon in a call center that has no idea or authority to make assurances to you (get it in writing first and the name of the representative). Personally I would keep climbing the food chain, warn JB and then file a complaint with the BBB. If that still didn't work out I would chalk it up as a learning experience and never buy from JetBoil again.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

That's a great stove- when it works- the online accounts of fin failure with the Sol Ti are few and far between, but there is definitely some quality control issues with the heat exchangers fin construction. This wouldn't be the first failure testimony here at BPL.

Jetboil has a rotten warranty if this is how they intend to treat customers. The modification clause is their way of sticking it to you and washing their hands of any defective operation, whether that be of their own doing or yours. I realize it also protects them from people who tinker haphazardly with their product, but this doesn't seem to be the case for you.

May I ask what you modified on your Sol ti?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

That's theft.
    Go straight to their legal department.

cheers

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Wow, this blows. I like companies that just "trust" the owner and sends something to them free of charge or at least only requires a picture of the broken item. It kind of make sense for them not to send it back because you could file a lawsuit against them stating that they sent you a defective items.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

call in the fuzz, tell them jetboil have stolen your 'pot'

Tim Cleary

@hempstead

Locale: Lost

Just find the public twitter for Jetboil and post this URL. Could get results quicker than small claims etc.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Your mod is unsafe?

How about them selling you a melty cup in the first place?

They won't send you the dollar amount for the "cost" of the cup? ….seems fair

Scott Higashi

@shigspeed

It does make sense that Jetboil wouldn't want to send back an unsafe cup, however we're free in this country to make unsafe whatever we want. If I mod my motorcycle to stunt, then take it in to the dealership under warranty due to a broken fork, I can understand them not fixing it, but they'd be crazy to think they could take and keep it, right? If they want to shield themselves from liability, I'd be happy to sign a document absolving them from responsibility. That or send me a safe replacement.

That said, I think it'd be fair to expect a refund or be offered to purchase a new unit at the difference between their wholesale price and their manufacturing cost.

They currently have my stove, cozy, lid, and bottom cup which they are shipping back. Once I get those back I'll take further action. The refund would probably be my first request as I haven't asked and they haven't offered. If that falls through, then maybe I'll try more "leverage".

_SHig

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I'm with Roger, this is straight up theft. Call them up and threaten legal action.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I bet they lost it, and the whole "unsafe" story is just a coverup.

–B.G.–

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

"Just find the public twitter for Jetboil and post this URL. Could get results quicker than small claims etc."

+1 Make a stink about it, eventually someone up the chain will start to smell it.

David Ure

@familyguy

I posted this link on their Facebook page….

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

Nice David :D The web sure makes this world a lot smaller. That should pretty much fix the OP's problem!

David Ure

@familyguy

Not kidding, but my post was removed from Jet Boil's Facebook page.

Hopefully the OP has some resolution here!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good case for fraud in the request to the customer to send it back. e.g., "Defendants, and each of them, knew and conspired…"

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Left them on note on their Facebook page.

Benjamin Kelley
    BPL Member

@benjamin-kelley

Locale: Midwest

I had a decent experience with getting mine replaced.
    But melting fins seems to be a pretty bad problem for them on this model.
    Here is the blog post about the multiple failures I had and the return process of my Jetboil Sol Ti.

http://blog.bloatedgoat.org/?p=33

Scott Higashi

@shigspeed

I had read your blog post while researching my issue. Glad you got your replacement!

_SHig

Devon Cloud

@devoncloud

Locale: Southwest

If you really want this to be done, let them know via certified mail of your intent to sue them in small claims court for taking your property from you with no remedy. You have to give them a viable time frame in the letter… so give them 2 weeks to comply (or look up how long you should give them according to your small claims court) Also inform them that you will move to have your case held in the small claims court in your county (as is your right). The cost of sending the attorney to your county to fight over the cup will be enough to set them straight. If not, spend the money to file it and spend their money for them. It may cost you a couple hundred to file but they will have to pay you that back if they lose.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Wow…it sure enough was removed because I had posted on it…

My Jetboil still works fine, as far as I know, but I don't ever use it other than to loan it out. They sure do seem awfully sketchy about all of this melting fins stuff though…

Chris
    BPL Member

@staplebox

Locale: New England

If I couldn't get a normal resolution from Jet Boil I'd go through small claims just to make myself feel better.

Here (CT) a small claims case costs $75 to file and if you win – that fee (plus and fees to serve notices etc) is added on the award. No way they'd show up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools