Topic

Within 3 to 5 hours of Medford, Oregon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Within 3 to 5 hours of Medford, Oregon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matt Witt

@mattwitt

Looking for a three-night backpacking route starting June 23 within three to five hours of Medford, Oregon. Enjoyed DeGarmo Canyon backpack near Hart Mountain east of Medford but don't know what other high desert options to pursue. Have not explored the area around Mt. Shasta in California (not up to climbing Mt. Shasta itself). Looking at Rogue River from Galice but not sure how much to heed warnings about poison oak. Any suggestions in any direction from here are welcome. Thanks!

Paul Schwerdt

@flexabull

Locale: State of Jefferson

Have you ever been to the Siskiyou Wildness? Devil's Punchbowl is a nice place to visit, there's a peak to climb there too.

Matt Witt

@mattwitt

No I haven't. Will check it out.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Red Buttes Wilderness–might be a little early; check snowmelt progress first.
    Possibly Kalmiopsis Wilderness (some of the trails wiped out by the 2002 Biscuit Fire are finally being reopened by volunteer efforts). The Illinois River Trail is open.
    Farther east, Pueblo Mountains and Trout Creek Mountains should be open. There is also the Fremont Trail (contact the Fremont NF for info).

Do you have the William L. Sullivan guides for Southern Oregon, Eastern Oregon and the Oregon Coast/Coast Range? His Atlas of Oregon Wilderness is also excellent. These are invaluable sources for Oregon hiking, and they also include trips into northern California. While the guides are oriented towards day hiking, a lot of the dayhikes can be connected for longer loops, which Sullivan mentions in the text.

While the forum and Field Guide at portlandhikers.org are pretty much centered in the NW Oregon/SW Washington area, there are some reports from southern Oregon there, including a recent one on the Kalmiopsis. Actually, since Portland is 5 hours from Medford, even for me who has to walk the dog 20 minutes at every stop, the Columbia River Gorge should be included in a possible June backpack. Check the Field Guide on that site for the Mark O. Hatfield trail. You could do that end-to-end or just include it and Gorge Trail 400 (river level) as connectors for the many north-south trails in the Gorge.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

This time of year, you might head a little south to avoid the snow.

I'm not sure about current conditions in the Marble Mountains and the Trinity Alps in northern CA; but they are not a long drive from Medford. And they are gorgeous.

– Elizabeth

Matt Witt

@mattwitt

Thanks, I know the Trinities pretty well. Anyone have specific recommendations in the Marbles?

Matt Witt

@mattwitt

Thanks. What's the best part of Red Buttes Wilderness?

Paul Schwerdt

@flexabull

In the Marbles the Shackleford Creek trail up to Campbell, Cliff and Summit Lake is very nice. Another beautiful and popular area is the Sky High Lakes.

Matt Witt

@mattwitt

Thanks. From what my guidebook says those are both pretty heavily used. Trying to find some high lakes country in the Marbles that would not be, if anyone has any ideas.

Paul Schwerdt

@flexabull

Well, heavy use is subjective. And I've found it to be pretty light compared to some other places. When I went up Shackleford there were 3 other groups in the area, 1 at Cliff Lake, 2 at Campbell. Same for Sky High, we stayed at Shadow Lake and had the whole place to ourselves.

Maybe check out Wright Lakes or the ABC Lakes area.

I've heard Maneaten Lake is beautiful, but kind of difficult to get to.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools