Topic

searching for a light alcohol stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) searching for a light alcohol stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Yes, the inferno only makes the wood burning more efficient. You can burn wood in the ti-tri with the floor no problem.

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

Locale: Germany

And what will be a good pot for it? First I thought about the Evernew Titanium UltraLight Pot 2 (0.9L) http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA252.htm because its wide enough to cook in it. But this pot is in backorder everywhere and its so wide, that the Ti-Tri also have to be bigger (more weight).
    Second I thought that I will need a cup too, so maybe a Set is a good Idea, like the Evernew Stacking Set http://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/evernew-titanium-stacking-set-750400ml-eca278 or the lighter Snow Peak Mini Solo Cooking Set http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/ti-mini-solo-combo-scs-004t.html.

What do you suggest? I want at least a 700ml pot.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

This isn't for use with wood, but for those wanting alcohol-only here's Andrew Skurka's solution. I think if it's good enough for him it's probably good enough for me. It's definitely lightweight:
    Fancy Feast Stove

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

If you want to use a 700ml pot and are considering using a Ti-Tri Caldera with it, Trail Designs has Ti-Tri ULC Calderas that fit inside a 700ml pot like the Snow Peak TREK 700 or Vargo 750ml Ti-Lite Mug or Snow Peak Mini-Solo or . . . see list at:

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-ti-tri-ulc

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

…..we also make…..on request….the two piece "Fissure" cone system….pain to build so we don't advertize it much…..but will do it if you're looking for packability and full cone performance. Here's a video one of our customers put up on youtube. Full on ti-tri with stove, esbit and wood burning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnUKbbt6Ev8

Rand :-)

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

I think the Fissure will not work for me because I need it till end of the next week. My friend will go back to europe 25. june, so after that time i have to add international shipping + tax, so it will be a lot to expensive.

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

If we move quick….we can get it done I think. Send email to randATtraildesignsDOTcom

Rand :-)

jacko vanderbijl

@jacko1956

Locale: Shelley Western Australia

Re Kevin's comments on comparisons.
    My son and I tested the 12 10 stove and the Evernew stove (and a third one he has that is made out of galvanized steel) when we got the Caldera.
    The tests were outside on a paved patio in the open air on a day that was calm.
    We were reasonably scientific in that we ensured the water was at same temp at start, same pot was used eached time (cooled back to the water temp between tests as was the cone) and we compared to what was seen as first sign of boil and what we termed to ourselves as rolling boil.
    We didn't use a thermometer but both watched closely for bubble formation etc. (What can I say – we were bored).
    The Evernew and the 12 10 were near identical for fuel useage and boil times. Differences were very slight and as I recall Evernew was very slightly more efficient in fuel useage.
    (The galvanised stove was slower but used a noticably lesser amount of fuel although it had a much larger tank.)
    I could be proved wrong by others but I still rate the Evernew one of the absolute best things in my pack and only the NeoAir would be more reluctantly relinquished.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Jacko,

You've pointed out one of the things I love most about these forums…That what you thought you knew might indeed be wrong! I'm quite intrigued now and will do a little test on my own to validate your results. I could easily be mistaken – now that I think about it the one time I used the Evernew stove in the field was when we were camped next to a stream. I often load up with water and carry it to "high" ground for dinner so it's very possible that there might have been as much as a 20-degree difference in the starting water temperature from what I normally do.

I love the look and simplicity of the Evernew stove, and you can't complain that it's not built to take some abuse.

Thank you for posting the results of your comparison. I really wanted to like the Evernew stove and will now give it another shot.

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

bought the trail designs sidewinder with the evernew 0.9l pot. hope it was a good choice. thanks for your help!

Geoffrey Campitiello
    BPL Member

@camp43

I've been seriously considering a Caldera Cone system. What is the benefit of the Fissure ULC vs the standard one piece ULC cone?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Think of the ULC as a half height cone. Fissure is a 2 piece full height cone. More efficient. Both pack up nicer than a full size one piece cone.

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

but if you look here you can see that the ulc version isnt the best choice for wind isolation, heat transfer and stability http://traildesigns.com/cone-comparison
    this is why i choose the sidewinder.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sidewinder for short wide pots. Fissure for taller pots.

Hex55 Meyer

@hex55

Fissure is a lot more expensive, so better choose a wide pot.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

"This isn't for use with wood, but for those wanting alcohol-only here's Andrew Skurka's solution. I think if it's good enough for him it's probably good enough for me. It's definitely lightweight:
    Fancy Feast Stove"

With the recommendations in Skurka's and Mike Clelland's books I had to give this a try. I made it exactly to the specifications with the hole punch and tested it on my deck with a 1.35L Toaks UL titanium pot and an aluminum windscreen from one of my many MSR stoves. It was tested against the Caldera Cone with the 12-10 stove and the same Toaks pot. It was not a formal test intended for publication; I wanted to do something quick-n-dirty to decide for myself which one to use in the field. Test weather was very mild temperature and light wind.

After my informal tests (3 burns each), I concluded that the Caldera Cone/12-10 burner combo is approximately 30% more efficient from a fuel usage standpoint than the Fancy Feast stove with the Toaks pot.

I encourage anyone to try this and see what you think. I did no searches to see if this has been repeated ad nauseum in the past, so apologies in advance if that is the case.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools