Topic

Dog Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dog Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I've been posting most of my recent projects just to my blog, but I am really happy with the result of this one and wanted to share it with others. I have been looking for ways to make my dog feel more comfortable hiking, especially at night when we are camping, and I thought that a jacket might help keep her warm as well as calm her down.

This version is just a prototype, so I made it using the Blizzard Fleece from Joann and webbing, buckles and grosgrain from Walmart. In total the project cost about $10. I'm actually surprised by how comfortable she is in it. My plan is to work out a few more kinks in it and then make another version out of some durable nylon and scrap Apex I have.

Jacket

And a shameless plug for the blog, where there are a couple more pictures. I'll post the pattern I made once I add just a bit more to it.

Jason Amick

@isneer

Its looking nice on a black dog.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have a fleece one as well as a couple of nylon turnouts from this company.

http://www.dogcoat.com/

Take a look at how they are cut. My dogs love theirs and wear them without issue.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

The black was just because I had some scraps left in that color. I realized that taking pictures of it was ridiculously difficult, so I made sure to make the grosgrain white to help that out a bit.

I actually found a pattern similar to that which I was thinking about using. For now I went with something more slim because I wanted to try to avoid the second set of buckles they use, but still not have something too loose. It looks like they have darts on the back of it to help create the curve. Is that right? That is similar to what I would like to accomplish in my pattern.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools