Topic

JMT/PCT: Reds Meadows

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT/PCT: Reds Meadows

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Does anybody know when Reds Meadows will reopen? I've been reading journals and trail reports that say it's closed due to downed trees that are still being cleared in the area.

Thanks!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

It may effectively be one and the same, but do you mean the campground, the pack station, the general area by road or bus? In any case, the Mammoth Lakes visitors center is where I'd call. One thing I'll say is that don't count on the showers or the hot spring unless there's been some welcome developments since last summer.

Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

I have been speaking with Shawn at the pack station and he said they will be open June 22. This includes the general store.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Brent,

Thank! Just what I was looking for. I'm doing JMT in August and Red's is one of my planned resupply stops. I was hoping to get everything I need at the store rather than sending a package.

Susan

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

the couple of times I've been in that store I don't recall it being particularly well stocked, but I guess it depends on what you're willing to eat.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

The store had a decent selection last summer, but leave yourself some time in your schedule in case you have to take the bus into town.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

I've resupplied from the store once or twice. They have stove fuel, oatmeal, freeze dried, power bars, crackers, candy and the like. Not a lot of variety and choices, but enough to get by for a few days. And the thing is you probably only need a few days of supplies, because along the JMT, Tuolomne is three days north and VVR or MTR about three days south.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Art, Eugene, Katy,

Thank you! Again, just the info I need.

I'm hiking SOBO and plan on resupply stops at Tuleome, Red's and either VVR or MTR. I was hoping to avoid sending a resupply box from home given the expense, etc. But based on input here, and on my other thread, it looks like I'll need to send a box. I'm leaning towards MTR since it's closer to the trail, but who knows , if I have plenty of time, I may visit VVR as well, if for no other reason, a cold beer!

Again, mahalo nui loa for kind advice,

Susan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools