Topic

New Japanese gear – Snow Peak pack, 43 gram windproof etc

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Japanese gear – Snow Peak pack, 43 gram windproof etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

I was in Japan very briefly (too briefly) at Easter and picked up a whole heap of catalogues from my friend's bushwalking shop. This is some of the stuff that I thought might be of interest:

Snowpeak Vole 25

http://www.snowpeak.co.jp/newproducts/vole25/index.html

Edit: here's a better link: clink on the orange arrow for more photos.

http://www.snowpeak.co.jp/catalog/products/detail/3444

670 grams

25litres

This pack is specifically stated to be for one day trips. Details that aren't visible from the link above are that it does have a small top pocket (it's part of the toggle flap), an internal bladder pocket and the shoulder straps can be tucked behind the back panel. As far as I know, this is SP's first day pack but I'd suspect that it's part of a family, with more to come.

Axes Quin Kunado

This is a backless windproof smock made of Pertex Quantum which weighs 43 grams. It packs into a small in-built pocket and ends up about the packed size of one of the Sea to Summit silnylon shopping bags. In concept it's the same as the Camp Flash Anorak which BPL recently reviewed – but it's 2 and a half times lighter!

http://axesquin.co.jp/news/?p=1

Axes Quin Superfly Rain Smock

This is a 200g Paclite smock (likely for a size M). That's pretty light given that it appears to have reasonable length and is quite baggy. I like the cut and styling because it strongly resembles my early 90 Patagonia Pneumatic smock. But I'm not convinced that the hood cord will work in an appropriate way …

http://nb-online.rh.shopserve.jp/SHOP/RS1140.html

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

D-Dub,

All of those look interesting. It will be interesting to see what makes its way to our side of the pond.

Todd

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Based on my experiences with wind jackets, a frontal wind jacket won't be much good at all for hiking/backpacking, especially in alpine environments. Not only will it be subpar for properly blocking wind currents from stripping heat (full coverage is pretty much necessary), there's also a very good chance it will turn into a sail and become quite obnoxious to wear – think of what happens to windshirt hoods in high winds, and now extrapolate that to the entire body… hmm. I suppose it would be useful for running or biking, however.

The pack looks interesting, especially if it contains a framed suspension. Likely, the torso length will be miserably small, however, thus relegating it irrelevant for the stated weight, compared to other options that already exist.

The rain smock looks like the only truly interesting item on the list, from a practical perspective. Kudos – Goretex in a 7oz package (though the OR Zealot was Goretex full zip and weighed the same). The hood design doesn't look too terrible, and might function quite well. It's certainly different!

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"The pack looks interesting, especially if it contains a framed suspension. Likely, the torso length will be miserably small, however, thus relegating it irrelevant for the stated weight, compared to other options that already exist."

I checked: the catalogue gives the packs dimensions as W300 x H480 x D200. My Lowe Alpine Contour Runner has a 48cm back, so the SP is in the 30 litre day-pack range.

There's no mention of any frame, but it does seem to have a fair bit of padding. The shoulder straps can be tucked behind the rear padding for when you're travelling.

They also make the point that the side pockets are big enough to take a 1 litre Nalgene bottle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools