Topic

Hot water bottle/drinking water?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Hot water bottle/drinking water?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    che gra

@shovelopikis

i am planning on taking my hot water bottle with me for cold night (since im going to be having a panned campfire most nights

but it got me thinking, is there a product or way so you can store drinking/cooking water in it and drink it?

or use the boiled water the next morning for drinking?

would save water/time/energy
    current water bottles water has a strong smell of plastic/rubber when i empty it, so thats a no go

but maybe there are other materials/products or someone here may already have the answer to this! :)
    haha

Chris Ruis

@tinker

che gra

@shovelopikis

i dont get it…

i cant snuggle with a pot

Chris Ruis

@tinker

It a bottle and a pot boil your water put the lid on and go to sleep. Wake up in the morning and drink after you agitate to get the oxygen back in the water.

che gra

@shovelopikis

okay well its better than nothing so far,would prefere like abag/bottle bendy kind of container thats close to a waterbottle…just cant seem to get my head around sleeping with that thing…plus in the morning it will be cold as ice, if i do not wake up before it has cooled my body temp will slide down with it

a b

@ice-axe

I used an Aqua Fina Bottle or a similar 20 oz plastic soda bottle for a hot water bottle on my hikes when in snow country.
    I found it weird to sleep with a plastic bottle too.
    My trick to making it more comfortable was as follows:
    Boil 20 ounces of water on your stove.
    Pour water into your plastic soda bottle.
    Don't worry about the heat.. even the thinnest plastic bottle handles boiling water just fine (even after thousands of miles use) and with a tight cap the cooling water provides a vacuum seal throughout the night.
    Slip your hot bottle into a sock.
    Put the bottle between your feet until they are toasty hot and begin to sweat.
    Then place the sock encased bottle between your thighs.
    Sleep happily even in a wet down bag in temps well below it's comfort range.
    Wake and shake the bottle as suggested above with some added pomegranite/cherry flavored crystal lite or Starbucks Via coffee.

The bottle of water will not be hot in the morning, obviously, but i never felt that it was ice cold either. It was body temperature.
    Either way it makes a better morning drink than icewater left outside your bag. (My opinion) and the micro ground coffee mixes just fine with tepid water.
    The system works beautifully!
    YMMV

che gra

@shovelopikis

Hey thanks alot for that Matthew
    seems like a great system you have got going there

may i ask what kind of bottle container though?
    i have some but when boiling/hot water has been in them i can taste i sort of plastic taint…not sure thats good

(ill do some research on some good plastic bottles now though)

Thanks again!

a b

@ice-axe

I used soda and water bottles found along the trail or in trail towns.
    Occasionally i changed bottles if they got too grungy.
    The plastic taste goes away the longer you use a bottle.
    Basically after a week the bottle imparts almost no taste.
    I think my record for a bottle was 2,100 miles along the PCT before the DEET repellant on my hands shrunk the bottle so much that I finally chucked it.
    No bottle i ever had in 7,500 miles leaked a drop.
    Yea, i suppose there is the whole BPA thingy and all that..
    I suppose if you think that is a danger than this strategy may not be for you.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    The beauty of using "trash" for a water bottle is:
    1. you are recycling.
    2. Lighter than commercial "hiking" water bottles.
    3. you get a "free" liter of soda every time you swap for a new bottle.
    .. UH possible 4. is when you try to make Pistachio pudding in you soda bottle and it turns out to thick.. it is not too painful at that point to ditch it in a trash can in town and get a shiny new one for $1.29 plus a liter of orange crush inside!

che gra

@shovelopikis

do you fully have the water boiling?

i usd to clean out a 3litre plastic container with boiling water and it crumples…have you had that?
    also worried about it leaking

although right now i am browsing some stainless steel bottles online, not sure if they would do the trick, but they have a more secure lid (last thing i would want is scalding my legs as well as getting my down bag wet :(

a b

@ice-axe

I have never seen any plastic soda or water bottle do anything more than soften up when boiling water is put inside.
    As for boiling, well the lowest altitude of the places i have used this trick would be the Sierra Nevada (about 9,000), the Cascades (6,000 or so) and the San Juans of Colorado (Also 9 to 11,000).
    The hot water bottle trick is , as you would expect, mostly a high altitude/cold temperature thing.
    So I suppose the boiling temperature was less than 212 degrees Farenheit.
    So around 170 degree water was what i was using at that altitude.
    Perhaps at sea level there could be an issue with true 212 degree water in a cheap plastic soda/water bottle.
    The again, never need to use the trick at those altitudes.

Either way I can say that I have never had a failure nor have any of my long distance hiker buddies spoken of a failure of a soda bottle treated in this way.
    I am sure there is one person out there that has had a failure, but i never met them.
    Make sure the cap is tight.
    Replace the bottle occasionally.
    Thats the best advice i have.

che gra

@shovelopikis

awesome, thanks a lot for your help, it will be put to good use! :)

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

I had Matthews' experience with plastic soda bottles, until last week on a packrafting trip in Alaska. I was using a 1 liter wide mouthed pepsi bottle (as I've done for many months of backpacking and trip leading) that I put boiling water into for a hot drink, and the plastic shrunk and melted along one side. The bottle was usable for a short while, but looked severely mangled. FWIW If you are used to coffee, tea or cocoa on trail, maybe stick to making in in your bowl or cookpot.

Rod Braithwaite
    BPL Member

@rodo

Locale: Salish Seashore

I have had soda bottles shrink when first filled with boiling water. I use two identical bottles and had about 20% reduction in volume. If I pour carefully I get a smaller version of the original and avoid the distortion. YMMV.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"I was in the pool!"

Jen Churchward
    BPL Member

@mahgnillig

Could you use a hydration bladder or Platypus bottle? That would be more like a traditional hot water bottle instead of having a soda bottle in your sleeping bag. IMO boiled water tastes nasty, so I'd be inclined to use it for cooking or washing in the morning, but I suppose you could just add some Gatorade powder to disguise the taste.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Eugene,

You beat me to it! Classic episode!!!

Susan

steve flinn
    BPL Member

@steveflinn

MSR Dromlite hydration res + hot water bottle. Works like a charm.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I remembered reading about putting hot water in a Platypus and emailed Cascade Designs to get their take on it I got a quick reply stating:

"Thank you for contacting Cascade Designs, Inc. in regards to our Platypus products. Our Platypus bottles and reservoirs are made of a durable polyethylene film that can handle any temperature of water from freezing to boiling."

Sounds like a Platypus would be a good solution to me. The water will be purified by boiling and ready to use for breakfast. I guess you could wrap it in some clothing if it is too hot at the start.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

I like platy's because they are soft-sided and less obtrusive than a soda bottle. I've also found that placing the bottle at my groin is warmer than my feet.

I keep a bottle of water in my bag at all night temps under like 60*F, even if it's not warmed on a stove. Warming water in my bag all night means my body does a portion of the heating so I use less fuel cooking.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I have put boiling water in a nalgene bottle and then wrapped it in spare clothing and put it in my sleeping bag on very cold nights. However, since I don't carry nalgenes anymore, and I'm not so sure I would trust a disposable platic bottle, it's nice to know playtpus bags can handle boiling water.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

In a recent thread I posted –

"PP (polypropylene) has high tensile strength, making it ideal for use in caps and lids that have to hold tightly on to threaded openings. Because of its high melting point [266°F to 340°F], polypropylene can be hot-filled with products designed to cool in bottles."

Polypropylene is designated by the number '5' or 'PP' in the recycle triangle.
    (1 liter soda bottles are typically #1.)

If the bottle's prior purpose was food related [and is a 5/PP] you should be fine.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have one wide mouth Nalgene Cantene for that. (48oz)
    Also polythilane .
    I don't detect "taste" from that unlike from soda bottles and it takes only the space of the liquid inside.
    The wide mouth makes it easier and safer to pour hot water in it.
    Franco

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

My 12-oz. Kleen Kanteen triples as:

1. Hot water bottle
    2. Extra water storage
    3. Coffee/tea mug

Get the single-walled (not insulated/double-walled) kind and put a beer cozy around it to insulate it.

No plastic taste, no BPAs, no leaching of BPAs and other plastic chemicals into the water (which happens when you put very hot water in plastic), no leakage, and no shrinkage.

– Elizabeth

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools