Topic

orikaso vs. fozzils vs. Coleman foldable bowls

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) orikaso vs. fozzils vs. Coleman foldable bowls

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Locale: Eureka

I'm looking for a fold-able bowl to take with me on my trips to have a bowl to accompany my spoon for eating.

So far it looks like orikaso vs. fozzils vs. Coleman.

Any feedback?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I found the foldable stuff was bendy and good for making spills.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I know plenty of non clumsy eaters that just love their bowls. They all seem fairly similar. The bowls that is.

Edit: I don't use them because I think it's silly. Be like Jacob and I and eat out of your pot.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I sorta despise them all.

The foldable type tend to need to be cleaned, unfolded, then cleaned some more.

Just introduce your spoon to your cook pot or kettle and it won't be too lonely :)

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Just use freezer bags and heat-n-eat your meal in them; so, no need for a bowl and you are getting lighter. Much easier than getting a bowl (or pot) dirty anyway. Who wants to clean dishes on a camping trip?

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

Does it have to be foldable? If that's not an absolute necessity, just get one of the polypropylene (number 5 plastic) containers that deli food is sold in and use that as a bowl. It's light, withstands boiling water, is reasonably durable, and it's free. It even comes with a matching lid if you want one.

Jen Churchward
    BPL Member

@mahgnillig

We found the Orikaso stuff to be too much of a PITA to put together and with the really wide cup & bowl, food lost its heat really quickly. Plus, the mug was just an accident waiting to happen with a hot drink in it! If you really want something that squishes flat try a Guyot squishy bowl or X-Bowl instead. The X-Bowl is okay, though a bit heavy and the rubbery silicone is a bit sticky (gets lint and dog fur on it). I like to have a dedicated bowl too… thinking about getting a Ti one though as it would be easier to clean than the X-Bowl.

Ken Nguyen
    BPL Member

@ninjapuppet

Locale: B-Town

I got this idea from alpinist Andrew Kirkpatrick. just cut off a 2L platypus and use the bottom half for a bowl. Folds flat aswell and mine weighs 14 grams, while my orakaso bowl weighs 41 grams and fiddly.

When i have abit more luxury and eat steak, I like to have a plate instead. I prefer the orakaso fold plate than the button up ones because food tends to get stuck in those snap buttons.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I got some fozzils a couple of years ago. After half a dozen uses, the snaps wouldn't hold any more. IMHO, don't waste your money–they're cute but not at all durable.

I eat out of the freezer bags in which I rehydrate my food. If you want a bowl, get Ziploc or Glad plastic bowls. They are nice and light. You can save even more weight by trimming off the rim. They nest together and you can always stuff something small in the cavity. I also use one of these for my dog's bowl. The medium size bowl with the rim trimmed off weighs 0.6 oz.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Better than glad or Ziplock, IMO is the bottom of an HDPE gallon or half-gallon milk jug. HDPE is much tougher and good for a much greater temp range. And it's free – from your own trash or the #1 plastic bin at the recycle center. Cut with scissors to desired height and send through the dishwasher.

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

I actually love th Orikaso. One thing is for sure…they're great for passing the time with mates during storms…we were stuck on the summit of Mt Anne in Tasmania during a storm, so we had competitions to see who could assemble and disassemble the Orikaso cup in the shortest time. :-).

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Locale: Eureka

All good feedback folks I really appreciate the thoughts and info. I will really consider some of the alternatives you have suggested along with the bowls in the title line.

Thanks
    CG

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Sometimes I bring a Fozzil bowl. Sometimes I don’t. And when I don’t, I sure miss it.
    I always do freezer bag cooking. The Fozzil becomes my bag cozy. It’s stiff and holds the floppy Ziploc straight so I can eat out of it. In fact, it’s easier to eat out of the bag when it’s in a fozzil.
    My fozzil bowls are about 3 years old. I lost track of the dozens of uses it’s been through; but it has been holding out great in cold and heat.
    And it’s SO much easier to pack a flat fozzil than a ziploc bowl. I do carry Ziploc bowls and lids every now and then to carry my food that I don’t want smashed too bad. However, the Ziploc bowls have cracked several times; my fozzil keeps going.

And when I need a cutting board, that fozzil is handy. Also you can scoop water up with it for certain filtering systems.

And ninjapuppet had a neat idea with that cut-off 2L bottle. I’ll have to think about that.

-Barry

Bazza
    BPL Member

@bazzabushmanau

if you still looking foldable stuff

http://www.rucsacsupplies.com.au/products/category/ORIKASO has the last of Orikaso stock as he went out of business.

The only have the after dinner set so you have to use what you want and store the rest.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Like Barry, I use my Fozzil as a cutting board.  I make somewhat complicated meals though (chop onion and garlic rather often, ginger too).  At 1.2 oz. and easy to pack flat, I don’t usually worry about bringing it.  Has held up well over 2 years too.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I reuse the bags that I pour water into for dinner. After a trip I clean one out (with soap and water) and trim it. The bag is very light, and folds flat.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools