Topic

shoulder strap attachment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear shoulder strap attachment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Travis Naibert

@outwest

In thinking about new pack designs I am considering attaching the bottom of my shoulder straps to the bottom corner of the pack furthest from my back. I was thinking this might help keep the weight of the pack pulled more towards my back instead of sagging farther away from my back. I would also be adding a thin (~3 inch wide, 1/4" thick foam) hipbelt for stability and a camera pocket but for minimal weight transfer.

Does anyone have any experience attaching the shoulder straps further back on the pack body than just next to the back of the person carrying the pack? Is there any good reason not to attach the shoulder straps in an unconventional place?

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Two reasons I would not do this; one, it changes the angle at which the shoulder strap runs down across your chest and side, and not in a good way to my eye – seems like it would be more likely to rub you the wrong way. Two, it means the shoulder strap is attached further away from the base of whatever "frame" you are employing (whether stays or foam pad) and with more squishy stuff in between, thus making for what seems like a less stable connection between you and the pack.

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

I did it on my first pack, and my second. I do not think it matters That much.

As for the previous post, I have not had any problems with rubbing and the load is still transferred to the carry system as I always pack my sleeping bag + sleeping clothes tight in the bottom of the pack –> acts as a lumbar pad if you will. That package is stiff enough to transfer the weight onwards. I have noticed the pack becomes slightly harder to put on, perhaps a bit more wobbly – I have zero problems with the first issue and the second isn't particularly bad either. If anything it actually reminds me to keep a good posture.

Overall, stability depends more on proper fit and packing technique. The plus side? Thinking of the applied forces involved, I think it should work. I've spent some time thinking about it and if you think about how you carry a bulky package it makes sense. It should make the pack lean into your back a bit more, which translates into less back/downward force on the upper shoulder-strap attachment point. But as I've never made two identical packs with different attachment I can't really say.

1st pack

Second pack.
    PacK2

edit. typos

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have use the mid point bottom attachment of shoulder straps on a few packs it works great. ULA also use this method on all their backpacks they manufacture..
    I have found with this method it acts kinda of like when your hiking up a long up hill section and you want to take the load off your shoulders so you reach behind with your hands to lift the pack off your shoulders.
    Terry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools