Topic

The CAFFIN tents come!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The CAFFIN tents come!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi all

Several people have PM'd me with suggestions about possible manufacturers, both in Asia and in America. I have carefully recorded all suggestions. Any more – please.

Order of the day:
    I am 1/2 way thru rebuilding the electronics on my CNC from scratch. That comes first.

When the CNC is running I will make enough stove bodies & other bits to use up what burners I have left. Maybe 20 or so. Stoves beyond that number – don't know.

Then with stoves dealt with, I guess I should have time to take another look at the tents. One issue with tents is that the size of the project would be bigger – I might have to get 200 or even 500 tents made, plus the sets of carbon fibre poles. High numbers because the manufacturers have Minimum Order Quantities to cover their costs of training the workers on a new model. From my end, it's not so much the capital outlay as the hassles of selling that many tents!

Cheers

David Ure

@familyguy

"From my end, it's not so much the capital outlay as the hassles of selling that many tents!"

Kickstarter.com

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I don't know how I missed this entire thread until now, but I just read through every post and what a ride! Spoiler alert – if you see that this thread started in 2012 and you haven't yet seen an advert for a Caffin Tent, then you can probably guess the reason why.

So, how can we make these tents a reality? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Scott Jones
    Spectator

@endeavor

Roger should contact Steve Noall. Noall tents are the best. I don't know if Steve still makes his custom tents for people, but the guy is truly gifted. I read he only had about five sewing people but the workmanship is all high end. The tents were extremely expensive but I thought of them as the Western Mountaineering of Tents. He could make the tents for Roger and charge the high end price. The last known place of residence for him was down in Palm Springs California near a place called Devil's Ladder or something like that. Back when Steve was partnered up with Wayne Gregory they made a tent called The Tahquitz which is just a fantastic tent for 3 to 4 people and has such a clever design and I am the proud owner of one.

Anyhow, just my two cents on the topic.

On the Asian production idea, Roger should contact the Walrus (George Marks) co-founder of Sierra Designs, Walrus Tents, and now working in China. Apparently George is also a Master at languages and can speak fluent Chinese where he directs a company that makes products for Cabela's etc. Perhaps George could help if that route was taken again. I enjoyed reading an article on George where he talked about making those sleeping bags and because he did not want to be bothered by confusing names when he sewed them, he called them the 100, the 200, and the 300. I own a 200 and it is still in fantastic shape.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Roger,

May have already been mentioned (too many posts for me to check) but I believe Tarp Tents are made in Seattle. Don't know the name of the company.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I say we pitch in and buy Roger a sewing machine. Whichever one he wants!

Dave T can be the new moderator. (that would be fun!)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have two sewing machines already.
    I don't have the hours in the day – busy making stoves instead.

Cheers

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

You heard it here first!

After making stoves, Rogers gonna make us tents!!!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Roger, I've previously(a few years ago I think) suggested the Philippines.

They speak English.
    Have great tailors who can be re-trained to do tents.
    The Philippines is not that far from Oz and NZ.
    Labor rates are low but not obscenely so.

Oh, yes, lots of college grads who need employment.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"Oh, yes, lots of college grads who need employment."
    Ha, hey…maybe we should just make them in the USofA. LOTS of grads flipping burgers.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Nice work bringing these to market !

Dave T

@davet

I, for one, am hoping for an exclusive deal. I mean, someone has to be excluded to make it exclusive, right? That make it all feel so exclusive.

Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools