Topic

Vegetarian food for desert hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Vegetarian food for desert hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Greeting my fellow backpackers!

What would you suggest for SUBJ? From my experience couscous, rice are good. Pasta is generally bad until you are near some water source (I carry water for two full days with me).

I found I almost don't eat any full proteins (like eggs). Just the grains and dried fruits/nuts. So I would be happy to get some tips for proteins. :)

Mind the lack of water!

Thank you!

Greg.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

There are a few really good complete proteins but you would need some water to rehydrate them. Quinoa and amaranth are great. Pre-cook at home or as part of a whole meal and dehydrate. Rehydrate on the trail (I know this doesn't help the lack of water that you mention).

Another complete protein that I seem to be talking a lot about lately… chia. You need a little water with this (a few tablespoons per tablespoon of seeds to make a gel). You can also had it to your drinking water at a ratio of 1 part seeds to 9 or 10 parts water. Because of their makeup chia can actually aid with hydration.

Food for thought.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Thank you a lot! Forgot about quinoa. I have never took it as a backpacking food. At home I cook it and add some flaxseed oil. It does also contain Omega 3. You can find it only in fish, but if you are a vegetarian, flaxseed is the only source of it.

Don't know what chia is. Googled it, seems like some plant from Salvia family? We have salvia on north (where I live), but not sure about the chia you've mentioned.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Here is a good crib sheet on chia http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/345/127/

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

While I use chia at home, I wouldn't suggest going crazy and using it on the trail unless your stomach is used to it. Much like oats and flaxseed, it is high in fiber and can cause certain "issues" if you are not adapted. The trail is no place to experience it. So use it at home first.

As for what to eat? Eat what you like. A few days it is OK. Your body will tell you if it is missing something. Watch what you eat at home and adapt those meals to hiking.

Personally a diet rich in nuts and seeds is a good start so you are doing fine!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools