Topic

Timberland LiteTrace Boot Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Timberland LiteTrace Boot Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Timberland LiteTrace Boot Review

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Glad that you are softening your positions a little on this subject. Not that I am put off by opinionated articles as such. But sometimes things can get a little too pedantic, as with the observation in your prior referenced article: "It is foolhardy to go into the woods without good balance and strong joints." Does that mean you are banishing all of us without strong joints from backpacking? You seem smart enough to figure out how we are going to feel about that without my spelling it out.

While the choice of a Timberland product, of no better than average quality, might be seen as designed to fail, your inclusion at the end of the article of the Salomon products, that are usually of higher quality, removed this impression.

So, thank you for a very interesting and helpful article, overall.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

It's good to try new things and expand opinions, and this was one of those times. I thought I'd have to remind myself constantly to give the boots their due, but early winter worked out such that I used them quite a bit.

That said, I haven't softened my stance on preventative fitness one iota. I'm not saying that people with less than ideal physiology should stay home, but strengthening joints isn't obscure or difficult to do, though it is hard, slow and often quite boring. The BC park rangers I know haul loads of backpackers out on horses every summer, and these are rescues which effectively began with individual complacency 8-10 months (or years) earlier.

Gabe Grayum

@sauron93

Locale: Pacific NW

I've been surprised at the overall lack of interest in this boot. I got a pair last fall and used them quite a bit this winter.

They aren't just light and 'waterproof'. There is no padding to speak of, and thus nothing to absorb moisture. This is a feature I haven't seen elsewhere on the market and what I think makes these boots so appealing. Alas, I didn't even see this mentioned here. Every other 'waterproof' shoe I've used absorbs water and then wets through pretty quickly. These boots are different.

Your coverage of the toe problem and fit are spot on. You can see my review at REI: http://reviews.rei.com/review/822802/Timberland-Lite-Trace-WP-Mid-Hiking-Boots-Mens

My solution was to put a thin piece of foam inside to protect the top of my toes. They are comfortable now but I still had to break them in carefully, and I continue to leave the foam in the toe. I hope Timberland fixes the toe problem and improves the fit in the next iteration.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools