Topic

Ten Lakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ten Lakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Keegan D

@nageek18

Locale: Bay Area

planning on making a trip to ten lakes this week. Does any one know the conditions over the pass?

I have never been here before so would like some recommendations on the best camping spots and some nice day hike ideas. Which lake is the best?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Which country?

–B.G.–

Keegan D

@nageek18

Yosemite Ten lakes

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The vast majority of backpackers will camp around the first big lake. That's OK, but that is where the bears hit first. Independent-minded backpackers will often go up to the highest lakes on the right. My preference was to go to the lowest lake on the left, and then hike up Grand Mountain. The best lake is the one where there are no mosquitos, and sometimes it is hard to find.

–B.G.–

Keegan D

@nageek18

Thanks for the advice.

I would like to make a side trip to Tuoloumne peak but am starting the trip from yosemite creek. How tough do you think it would be too trailblaze from Tuoloumne peak straight back to yosemite creek?

Just by looking at the topo maps, it looks like you can descend the peak going south a little and then head straight west back to yosemite creek trail head. Has anyone tried to do this before?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"straight back" isn't going to work very well.

There is a trail in there, but it follows the terrain with lots of curves, and it wasn't much fun.

–B.G.–

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Two years ago after a big snow year in June..

Keegan D

@nageek18

Those are some really pretty pictures. I hope it looks like that when I get up there tomorrow.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools