Topic

Training on a treadmill

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Doug,

Good for you and your success at the gym.

If you've lost 7 pounds while working out, you've also dropped your % body fat. So you've lost maybe 11 pound fat and gained 4 pounds of muscle. Which really helps your strength-to-weight, i.e. performance.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks for all the fed back guys. I will use the eliptical trainers with my pack on at my well ewuipped community gym.

I have dumbells and a BowFlex at home and do resistance training every 3 days. Being 69 I am usually only at the "maintenance" stage of weight training. Any building comes slowly.

I can't run B/C I have herniated #4 & #5 lumbar discs. But a pack with the weight on my hips is fine – otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum.

And I'm getting up early lately to hike before the temps reach 90 F. here in 'Vegas. I have been hike training up to this month. This is in preparation for a Ruby Creat Trail backpack in northern Nevada in early July. The Rubies are "Nevada's Yosemite". High alpine lakes and great mountains.

Corbin McFarlane
    BPL Member

@raven15

Woohoo! Now there's my area. Let me know if you need help or advice.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Corbin, I've back[packed Lamoille Creek/Canyon twice and loved it. We are using a commercial shuttle for the Ruby Crest Trail to save time.

In the one long (11 mile) "waterless" section I'll have 2 1/2 liters of water in my hydration bladder and a big bike bottle of electolyte drink. I'm taking a very light fold-up Platy 1 l. bottle for that day. Guess that should do me for the whole day.

Whaddya think.

BTW, my "BIG 3"

PACK> REI Cruise UL 60 W/ 2 side pockets (2# 10 oz.)
    SLEEP SYSTEM> WM Megalite (overfilled by 1 oz.)& Thermarest Prolite
    Tent> TT Moment W/ painter's cloth plastic ground cloth

OTHER NECESSITIES:
    Stove is Brunton Crux & large fuel canister
    3 cup anodized aluminum pot W/ lid.
    Plastic cup & Lexan spoon.
    Light, cut down MSR aluminum roll-up windscreen

EB down jacket (in my avatar photo),
    REI Kimtah eVent parka,
    polyester wide brim hat & other synthetic clothes.
    Merrill Mid GTX boots or Merill Ventilator shoes.
    EB hiking poles

FOOD:
    Mainly freezer bag dinners & fleece cozy. Some freeze-dried omelettes & microwaved turkey bacon (Mmmm)

Corbin McFarlane
    BPL Member

@raven15

If you've been there before, no problem. The majority of the trail looks quite a bit different than Lamoille if you haven't seen it, it's about 1/3 "typical Lamoille-ish", 1/3 "crest section", and 1/3 "typical Nevada-ish." The crest section (no water) takes a small entrance "toll" to reach from either side, but once you get there you can fly along with no difficulty.

As far as equipment, I reckon almost anything will work. I'll be making the transition from "minimalist" to "ultra light" this season myself (chief difference being weight…).

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

When out on an oil platform for 2 weeks at a time, I used to do step ups on the side of the bed, a 30-40cm step, 1000 or more per leg. Really good cardio and thigh builder. Then I read somewhere that that sort of exercise causes excessive wear and tear to the knees. Anyone got any opinion on that?

Paul Wallace

@pauljohnwallace

I'm a big fan of multitaskingtraining too. I throw my 17 mo old son in a backpack just before nap time and then do a couple hours of hills at the local park. Stroller with napping kid works great too. Brownie points with the wife also for taking Jr off her hands for a while.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools