Topic

Removable Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Removable Backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    George Mills

@marienbad

Has anyone ever tried making a two-piece backpack system where:
    Piece 1 is a stiff frame and all the pads and straps that snuggly hug your body
    Piece 2 is just a big storage compartment, which can be detached from Piece 1.

I realize that the number-one concern in a backpack is getting close to your body and supported in a way that doesn't stress, but it still seems like you could have a Piece 2 that you "slide in" to a series of straps on Piece 1 and then cinch them up so it's tight against your body.

If there are some commercial offerings like this, please post them to serve as inspiration.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Steve C

@smit

Locale: sierra nevada

I believe Zimmerbuilt has some interesting designs you might want to check out.
    Steve

Dustin Judd
    BPL Member

@ddujnitsud

That ULA Epic looks like exactly what I have been looking for.

George Mills

@marienbad

Is there a generic name for the type of pack? (the kind that is just a system of straps made to hug a separate bag)
    What would be my search term?

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

The Molly Mac Pack is very similar to what you're talking about. MacEntyre (the manufacturer) even has a couple of pouches (they're in the "Order" section) that fit gear instead of having to use stuff sacks; they come in 15 and 30 L sizes.

Hope it helps!

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Check out granite gear flatbeds, mystery ranch crewcab, eberlestock just one, or get a simple frame, cut off the bag and add a beavertail with straps. You could pick-up a beefy frame that fits you well and cut, hack and sew.

Good luck,

Dave

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

NRS is your cheapest option: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000STB52K

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

LOL. I think every external frame pack ever made fits this description.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools