Topic

Pacific Outdoor Equipment Website??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pacific Outdoor Equipment Website??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Does anyone know the address?

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

http://hyaliteequipment.com/

Someone else might know better but I believe the parent company was Hyalite before and they are now using that name. Probably numerous reasons why.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/

Renamed huh? Self preservation technique? Or result of financial disaster

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Thanks Guys

Greg Garrigues

@ggarrigues

Hello Derrick-

I work for Hyalite Equipment. Pacific Outdoor Equipment and Hyalite Equipment are not related entities – not renamed. Long story short, the employees were buying Pacific Outdoor from the founder and the founder stopped responding, leaving no choice but for the staff to resign. The ex-staff started a new business called Hyalite Equipment. As far as I know, Pacific Outdoor Equipment, Inc still exists (you can see entity C2118395 on the California Secretary of State Website), and the whois.net directory shows the address http://www.pacoutdoor.com The contact information I was given by the Pacific Outdoor Owner is 310-344-1222 and PO Box 13896, Torrance, CA 90503.

Our team at Hyalite knows a fare bit about pads, and would be more than happy to lend a hand to a fellow backpacker. Please contact us if there is anything we can do. http://www.hyaliteequipment.com

-Greg

Jack G

@nomadjack

Greg, don't mean to split hairs but Hyalite equipment is part of the Hyalite Outdoor Group according to the website http://hyaliteoutdoorgroup.com/. Hyalite Outdoor Group was incorporated in 2009 according to the Montana Secretary of State website. Your product line also seems to be the exact same as it was with POE.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

Thanks for the link. I was going nuts trying to find those pads.

Michael

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Greg

Interesting, but the facts don't seem to have come together YET.

Hyalite Equipment are using pad names such as Peak Oyl etc which I believe were owned (Trade Mark) by PAC Outdoors. Have Hyalite managed to buy the proprietary names? Also it seems the technology has done a complete transfer: was a deal done about that as well?

Curious minds want to know.

Cheers

Greg Garrigues

@ggarrigues

Thanks for the questions.

Hyalite Outdoor Group was formed by a small group of Bozemanites in 2009 with the purpose of buying Pacific Outdoor Equipment, as well as operating an Outdoor Distribution Business and fulfillment service, which it currently also does now. In the end Pacific Outdoor was not sold to Hyalite.

There are some strong similarities between Hyalite Equipment and Pacific Outdoor’s product collections, but there are no infringements that Hyalite is aware of.

2013-product collection is being finalized now, and you will see broad changes and solid innovation to Hyalite Equipment coming.

-Greg

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Greg,

What should the owner of Pacific Outdoor Equipment products do in the event of a warranty issue? As the president of POE and now Hyalite can you provide some guidance? Thank you.

Jack G

@nomadjack

A failed buyout that, even though it failed, the acquirer still begins selling the acquiree's products just doesn't pass the smell test IMO. The acquiree would have the acquirer in court in a heart beat. If a buyout was not complete yet Hyalite is selling identical products I guess we are to believe that POE gave them the business for free. What it looks like is Hyalite doesn't want to stand behind POE's products, which are still being sold, and believes making the argument that this is a new and separate company is the way to avoid any responsibility.

Marc, I think he's saying call the cell phone number listed above or write to the P.O. box.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I thought I was one of the last to have dealt with POE or whoever they are. I had a pos air mat and it was finally exchanged for something that they had in stock. It happened to be a women's peak ovl lite petite. I would think long and hard before doing any business with anyone associate with this product line.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Greg Garrigues was the general manager of Pacfic Outdoor Equipment in 2007, according to a Practical Backpacking podcast issued at that time.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Mary D –

He was most recently the president of POE. This article hints at the relationship between the employees and the owners of Pacific Outdoor Equipment. http://www.mtcdc.org/mcdc-brings-california-warehouse-business-to-bozeman.html

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

My POE Thermo sleeping pad's insulation began separating from the pad's inside top surface, resulting in obvious cold spots. I emailed Hyalite to see if they would support a warranty claim. Here is the response from Matt Irwin of Hyalite Equipment (some words are identical to words already posted in this thread):

"Pacific Outdoor Equipment and Hyalite Equipment are not related entities – not renamed. Long story short, the employees were buying Pacific Outdoor from the founder and the founder stopped responding, leaving no choice but for the staff to resign. The ex-staff started a new business called Hyalite Equipment. As far as I know, Pacific Outdoor Equipment, Inc still exists the contact information I was given by the Pacific Outdoor Owner is 310-344-1222 and PO Box 13896, Torrance, CA 90503. Unfortunately, I cannot warranty this product since it was sold under Pacific Outdoor Equipment you need to try and contact them. If you are interested I can offer you one of our pads for a discounted price."

I haven't tried calling the provided phone number yet. Fortunately, I purchased the pads from Backcountry.com, who has a similar unlimited return policy as REI.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Oh man. Walks like a duck. Quacks like a duck. Yellow like a duck. It's a duck. These products are the same. Something isn't straight here.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

At least you received a reply…

I tried several times to contact their CSR to ask about their CCF pad (which boasts miraculously high R value according to their website)

no reply at all

something isnt working well…has anyone here at all bought anything from them?

Mike

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Now their site is down, already for quite a while. Does someone knows more ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools