Topic

Censorship again at BPL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Censorship again at BPL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

When a thread gets deleted it sure would be nice if BPL could give a reason why instead of just deleting and not saying anything about anything. This is my point on this whole thread that just goes badly shortly after this post.

Would BPL be so considerate to let us know why they do the things they do.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe the progression into MILF?

Don't google it

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Maybe because any prospective MLifers might think twice about paying after finding and reading the thread?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking you were refering to another thread on the same topic.
    Fred

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Yeah if you search "is mlife worth it" and you click on the posts that come up you'll get a little message.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I read the thread so how was it only viewable to mlifers. Deleting over the latest post would be an excuse to dump an unpopular thread.

That cottage stagnation thread will probably disappear too..lol.

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

I am pretty sure that thread was in "General Backpacking Discussion" or whatever..but yes it appears to be gone.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Here is everything except the last four posts.

http://tinyurl.com/6nfnosn

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

http://tinyurl.com/6nfnosn
    That is the thread I was thinking of.
    Anyway, having not looked at this site for a few months, can't say after a browse that I've missed much.
    There's more information, articles and infotainment on a single Gossamer Gear newsletter than you get here in a year.
    I don't think anyone will be hearing from Ryan Jordan in a while either. MIA.
    Terrible shame. There's nothing worse that a great idea executed badly. What a waste.
    Ciao, Fred.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I suspect that management decided this discussion shouldn't be visible to nonmembers. The similar discussions in the Members Only/Life Members Only sections are evidently still intact (so far, anyway).

Considering that the deleted thread has been going on for several years and that everyone has already read it, I'm not too sure that deleting it was a wise policy–the "damage" has been done. It could have been locked instead, which would have meant its fading away quietly in just a few hours. Deleting it has only called more attention to it! I just hope that management read the whole thing first!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

So much for "community".

BPL has finally fallen victim to the entropic degeneration of online community. Without its core, it'll lose its cohesion. I've been both a moderator and member if several communities that imploded like that, and unless the creators step in to infuse new life into it, it will inexorably fall apart.

BPL would do well to take a look at the GG newsletter model if they want to remain a business and have control of the information that's presented. If they'd prefer to let "members" be autunomous and act as a community, then they'd be wise not to interfere too often in what members want to talk about. They can't do both, unless they are willing to hear and see the less favorable and more critical side of what members want to say. Considering that these are PAYING members, discussing WHAT THEY PAID FOR, I think it is particularly inappropriate that the thread was deleted, I don't care how "unfavorable" the discussion was. Members are dissatisfied. As a business owner who depends on the payment of the customers, the management's response should have been to address the discontent, not try to silence it. Silencing will only make the dissatisfied members more dissatisfied.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Did mr Thompson question the powers that be one too many times?

Not a good move. The deleting that is-not ken t asking for promises to be met.

Not looking good. Miguel makes some good points….

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Miguel! +2!

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

+3

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Probably just a hard drive failure.

BPL wouldnt erase a whole thread.

Dave T

@davet

Does anyone at BPL want to comment on this?

If not, maybe that says even more than deleting the thread (content and idea-rich as it was).

BPL done?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Sorry, I have no idea.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Ken, judging from recent history, don't hold your breath; might be hazardous to your health!

On the positive side, I'd really like to see a response to Doug Ide's suggestion:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64785
    IMHO, it could bring in a lot of new members! Certainly a lot more than arbitrarily deleting threads!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools