Topic

SUL rain pants/chaps (not skirts)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion SUL rain pants/chaps (not skirts)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a pair of Cabela's GTX PacLite rainpants but at 15 oz. they are "heavy". Gotta have 'em for Rocky Mountain backpacking. Afternoon drenching thundershowers, ya know.

What is the SUL or UL solution? Cuben chaps?

Please list some vendors with your suggestions.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Eric,

I have spent a bit of time looking at Ul rain trousers this week, Montane Minimus seem to be one of the lightest available.

Cheers,

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I think Z-packs makes chaps, Maybe MLD as well

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have a pair of the Mountain Laurel Designs chaps that weigh 43 grams (1.5 ounces). They're not fancy but they are effective in keeping your legs dry. You do need to make sure you're wearing a top that covers enough of your rear though…

Jordan Clymer

@jordanclymer

Locale: The Columbia Gorge

You should look into the Dupont TY350S pants, Amazon stocks them. They are made from Tyvek and come in many sizes. Cheap, and good rain protection if any seams are sealed. I used a Tyvek upper as a lightweight rain jacket, I don't see any reason why these wouldn't meet the specs you are looking for. =)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+TY350S

James Berwick

@jhb0510

These look teally interresting.
    How much do they weigh?

Jordan Clymer

@jordanclymer

Locale: The Columbia Gorge

The data from Dupont and shipping weights put a pair around 60-70 grams depending on the size. So, if you want to ballpark them in around 2.5 ounces, that seems reasonable.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

XXL tyvek pants from US Plastics weigh 68.2 grams. I have smaller sizes I could weigh.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You really don't need breathable rain pants. Just sew your own of silnylon. Mine are 3.1 oz.

Chris Bell
    BPL Member

@hobbit

Locale: PA Wilds

I've used Equinox Full Moon Chaps for several years now. They have held up very well on trail or cross country brushy hiking. About 3 oz in weight.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks guys, that's a lot of good gear to review and now I have to decide.
    I think it will be rain chaps. My XL REI Kimtah eVent parka cover my butt so chaps souuld work. Plus chaps vent well. I just have to remember NOT to sit on anything wet. :=0

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

I have the Montane Minimus rain pants.

Not as light as Tyvek, but my size medium weighs in at 111g. I don't like rain pants that are baggy down near the ankles, which is one reason why I purchased the Minimus…they have hook and loop tabs to draw in any excess material down near the bottom of the pant.

A really nice garment if it fits in your weight range.

…but I'm now thinking about a rain skirt for 3 season stuff too…..more reading.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Mind you, though these ain't highfalutin, they are only $10 shipped…and come with a free 2.95 oz jacket that fits as good as those advertised in the glossy mags. Just say'n…..

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64670

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

I made the bottom half of my Tyvek suit into 2.2 oz drawstring pants. Would be interested in hearing thoughts on virtues of chaps vs pants. Thanks!

Best,

Bill

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Hi Bill,

Others may have additional virtues but from my perspective, the big one is that, when hiking in the rain, your behind doesn't get as sweaty.

Also, when I'm wavering between pants and shorts, I'll take shorts and my chaps. That way, if my legs feel chilled at any time, I just throw on the chaps. Additionally, I wear them with my poncho to keep my legs dry in the rain.

Oh, and if you're brave, hang free and wear the chaps by themselves!

r

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Cheap simple skirt or buy from zpacks

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools