Topic

JMT Section Gear List (9/19 – 9/26)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Section Gear List (9/19 – 9/26)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Simon Aspinall
    Spectator

@smaspinall

Locale: Central PA

So I have my permits, my vacation is booked and the girlfriend and I are driving x-country for a 60 mile section of the JMT: Happy Isles to Red's Meadow.

Here's my provisional gear list: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=8172

(I've added the shared gear (cooking, first aid, toiletries etc) to keep everything in one place).

Although I've had a lot of week/month long trips in the UK, Europe, Falkland Islands and Turkey, this is my first extended trip in the US (thus far my US backpacking experience has been confined to 3 day max in the Mid-Atlantic area (MD, PA and NY), so I would appreciate any advice.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Great list, and here are a few minor things you might change:

The sun shines bright in the Sierra, bring a floppy sunhat and a pair of sunglasses.
    A warm woolie hat is a must for chilly evenings and crisp mornings.
    Compass in addition to your map. The trail is easy to follow so you won't necessarily need it, but if you do get lost it comes in handy.
    You have four pairs of pants: hiking, long Johns, rain and puffy. I bring just the pants I'm hiking in plus a pair of light long Janes, many get by with just the hiking pants.

On the JMT in early season you need very little water storage as water is flowing everywhere. However you are hiking in September and this winter we had very little snow. Be prepared to only be able to fill your water bottles at lakes, as most creeks will have dried up by fall. Bring a three liter platy in addition to your one liter for a total of one gallon per person. That way you can also dry camp if you choose.

Have a great time and come back here with a trip report and photos.

Simon Aspinall
    Spectator

@smaspinall

Katy

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a compass, ball cap, 4L platy canteen and sunglasses but, in my haste, didn't add them to my list.

I erred on the side of caution and, depending on the long range forecast I'll probably drop the puffy and rain pants. LIke I said I've had plenty of experience in Europe etc, but not so much Stateside!

I'll definitely report back, hopefully it'll be a memorable trip in more ways than one; I'm going to propose at Red's Meadow!

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

silence. Mum's the word!

Steve

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Simon,

I think it was said before, but I would be careful of a ball cap unless you are used to wearing a bandana or something tucked under it to keep your ears from getting blistered. The sun is relentless and there can be long stretches with little cover. I always use a brimmed hat. I like my Tilley because it shields sun as well as the rain.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You probably already have your needs dialed in, but for me a 1.3 Liter pot lare enough for four people. Do you need such a bog pot?

Simon Aspinall
    Spectator

@smaspinall

I did actually just buy a Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat (look like a dork but I love the sun protection!), otherwise I was gonna go the ball cap/bandana route.

Simon Aspinall
    Spectator

@smaspinall

Unfortunately, it's the only one I have; I originally bought it matched with my Caldera Ti-Tri and, well it ain't broke :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools