Topic

Titanium pegs/skewers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Titanium pegs/skewers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Irwin

@chris-89

I want to make my own titanium pegs to save money myself and maybe make a bit of money from any extras I can create.

These are the sort of pegs I'm thinking of: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TITANIUM-CAMPING-TENT-SKEWERS-PEGS-PEG-X-12-20CM-LONG-/130704517303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e6e98a8b7#ht_1450wt_1185

Just wondered if anyone had done this before, and whether this titanium wire would be appropriate: http://www.twistfix.co.uk/products/damp-proofing-osmosis/pure-titanium-wire-product.html

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Chris, that wire won't work, and I don't think you should try to make stakes like the ones in that teenager's ebay auction. They have badly designed heads that might lead to the shelter guylines slipping off, in my opinion.

Grade 1 ("Commercially Pure") titanium is very soft. You don't get any of the mechanical benefits of using titanium if you use Grade 1. Alloys like 6Al4V (grade 5) are just as light but much stronger and stiffer. I would recommend 1/8" or 3/32" 6Al4V wire. You can get this on ebay or from TitaniumJoe.com. I've used this for making lots of skewer stakes and stove parts. 1/16" wire is too thin for tent stakes.
    The wire can be bent into the desired shape with pliers and a propane torch.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

What Colin said.

I buy 6Al4V EL welding wire from TiJoe. Good stuff, good price, good delivery.
    The EL version can be bent with a proper jig in the as-received state, but put a torch on it once and it goes to full 6Al4V strength.
    I recommend 1/8" wire.

But note you can buy the pre-painted stakes quite cheaply at the right places.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools