Topic

Intresting UL wind pants from dance world

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Intresting UL wind pants from dance world

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Mine came today and I like the fit OK. They are 3.6 ounces for my size large.

They have absolutely no water proofing as far as I can tell and are just plain ripstop nylon. I'll probably treat them to gain a bit of water resistance. Any suggestions for what treatment to use?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I assume a standard dwr will work.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I assumed DWR, but wondered if anyone had suggestions for which one works best with previously untreated garments.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Has everyone who has ordered these used these enough to say they'd buy them again? How about putting them on over shoes, since they have no ankle zippers? I've been using the Montbell wind pants, but at the price these look like a good substitute.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

It is what I used all last summer. My Montbell windpants "crapped the bed" in the Pecos last Memorial Day Weekend (after nine years of use, I ain't complaining. :D)

So, I figured I'd give these a try.

They are now my "go to" pants for 3+ season backpacking FWIW.

http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-discount-dance-supply-rip-stop-pants

With a size 10 men's shoe, I can *almost* put the pants on/off without taking the shoes off. But not quite. :(

I should also add that I use these pants in the (typically) drier Rockies. For deluges like those seen in PNW or back East, "real" rain gear may be a better buy esp if you tend to hang more in camp and/or don't power through via hiking all day.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

You're right, for actual rain rain pants are necessary. However, I often go out when it isn't raining (it does happen in the PNW), but need a little wind block in the cool of the evening but I'm not ready to jump inside the quilt. At a very few ounces, the wind pant is the ideal solution.

How is the fit? Is it "athletic", or is there some room in the pants? I use the Montbell because they are cut for short wide people, but I have torn the hem on them and want a replacement plan if needed.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Slightly baggy. More than an athletic fit, but a little less than "relaxed" fit.

Hope that helps.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

According the to sizing chart, the "XL" waist is 30"-36". Who ever heard of an XL fitting someone with a 30" waist?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Women's sizing I think. A mens large should be 36-38.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

Can someone comment on the actual size of these pants? I'm very skinny, and the Large size listed looks like it might actually fit. The L is listed as 33" inseam and 26-30" waist. Is this accurate? I'm a 29W34L, so this would be a pretty good fit if the claimed sizing is accurate.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Stephen, I think a L is a good fit judging by the size chart and the description from some other members. A L just barely fit a Size 34 waist on someone else.

I have a 32W (33 in the winter!) and I ordered an L.

Wesley Larson
    Spectator

@wes

Locale: Northern Utah

I ordered a pair of these dance pants, and just had a chance to test them out a little bit. I'm 6'2", 195, and usually wear 34×34 pants. I ordered the large based on the size guide on the site.
    They fit pretty well, the waist is fine. I could probably use another inch or so of length, but it's not bad. I was out for a couple hours with the weather in the 20's, with just these and light baselayer pants, and I was toasty. They definitely cut the wind and held in heat.
    Overall, I'm keeping them; can't be beat for $17, and they came in at 3.8 oz on my scale.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

I just received a size L. Wow these are big – I'll have to re-order a medium. The waist is 26" relaxed, and expands to 45" (claimed to fit 26-30"). The inseam is 34" (claimed 33"), but the length from the crotch to the top of the waistband is 14.5" for a serious grandpa-pants effect. The cuffs stretch to a max of 16", which is just barely enough to get over size 9 trail runners, but not without stressing them.

They clearly have a water-resistant finish, and say "Made in U.S.A." on the tag. The construction is very simple but seems well-executed.

The discount dance site now lists three options for color – Black, Dtl and Plu. I guess Plu is plum maybe, but I can't think of what Dtl might be. Dark teal?

Song
    BPL Member

@songsta

got a pair of the dance pants.  thanks for the suggestion.  very happy with its lightness and much cheaper than houdini.

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

Also been wearing these all season long and loving them. Really really hard to justify anything more expensive with these so readily available.

6’3″ tall, 175lb, 31″ waist 33″ inseam, large fits me well… wish they were a tiny bit longer.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools