Topic

Intresting UL wind pants from dance world

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Intresting UL wind pants from dance world

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found a pair of used dancer's warm up pants in a thrift store and I think they have excellent UL potential. And they are cheap too :)

Body Wrappers makes a full line of dance clothing. Their warm up pants are light ripstop nylon with an elastic waist and cuffs. Just plain pull-on pants, as Spartan as you could ask for, 3.5oz for size large on my scale and all of $20. The DWR on my used pair passes the sink sprayer test too.

See http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_701.html?camp=Froogle_701&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=701&utm_campaign=Products

Body Wrappers warm up pants

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

I know I'm not the only one thinking that you have nice legs, Dale.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

All that hiking keeps him trim.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

As he dances down the trail and tiptoes through the (oops, no tulips out in the wilderness, maybe balsam root or lewisia?)….

Seriously, it's a great idea to look elsewhere than normal hiking/backpacking suppliers–you can find interesting and suitable items in the strangest places!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Steven Paris quipped, "I know I'm not the only one thinking that you have nice legs, Dale."

Noooooo. If I am made in the image of the Creator, then He looks somewhat like a hairy bowling pin, as I sure do :)

At $15-$20 a pair, it would hurt less to shred a pair of wind pants. Montane Featherlight pants are $79US and weigh 4oz/pair!

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

never mind the pants, those shoes look pretty darn light, toe protection to boot

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ive been saying it over and over again … "brand name" outdoor clothes are generally overpriced … you can get stuff much cheaper that is just as functional, and perhaps just as light for much less at discount stores and other places

the only time "brand name" stuff is worth it IMO is if you have a no questions asked warranty and intend to use it … or its something that you cant find anywhere else (which is getting rarer as everyone copies everyone)

an ember put a hole in my $19 old navy puffy … and u know what, i dont give a darn … cause it cost 19$ ;)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Eric

> "brand name" outdoor clothes are generally overpriced … you can get stuff much
    > cheaper that is just as functional,
    Functional??? What's that mean??? Who's he???

Most of it is FASHION stuff for street cred. Ten times more profit in the fashion market. (or 100x)

Cheers

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Maybe combine both?
    …+ Photography :D

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Dale,

Those look like something I could use. I ordered a pair to see.

Thanks for the tip. Never thought to look in the dance clothing area for options.

Daryl

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Great timing. My Montbell wind pants that I've had since 2004 somehow tore this weekend.

Did not feel like shelling out another $80. These pants are the same weight and a 1/4 the price and should work just as fine..and maybe a little more durable.

Now to explain to my fiancee' why a package is coming from a dance company. She loves to dance; I loathe it. :)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

What's that "ruffle" around the hips just below the waist?

Better call and ask B/C it looks like it's not too functional but a bit TOO effite.

Maybe it can be unstitched and let out to better accomodate you "bowling pin" posterior. ;O)

Seriousnessly Dale, Thanks for the info. I'm looking at them as a possible purchase.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The pants have a very plain elastic waist. The dancer has folded them over to make them fit her better. The ones I found are a quite
    standard size large.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Dale,

Mine arrived and they are everything you said they were.

I got the medium size and they show 3.4 ounces on my scale (rounds to nearest .2 ounces).

I have a 34 inch waist and they are a little tight on me around the butt area. They are cut in a way that allows for good leg movement, however, so they are still useable. If I order another pair I'm going to go back to my old strategy of buying the biggist size of everything. I like baggy.

I've been looking for pants without pockets and zippers for years. These fit the bill. Thanks for the tip.

Daryl

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I got a pair of these today in the large size, and they are nice.

Question about them though- how would you use them? As your primary hiking pant, or as a layer in your pack to wear with your hiking pant? If so, would you wear them over or under your hiking pant?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>I have a 34 inch waist and they are a little tight on me around the butt area

So, Daryl, they make your butt look big?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I would use them exactly as I would a windshirt, for protection from wind and light precip. I think the best use for UL wind pants is when you would wear running style shorts and want the extra protection of long pants for cooler mornings or late evenings, if the weather turns cold, pretection from bugs, and so forth. I think this $20 alternative is better than shredding a $60-$80 pair of Pertex wind pants, or spending that much for very occasional use.

I haven't been a fan of wind pants because pants tend to take more of a beating than tops do. I normally wear nylon zip-offs or soft shell pants. If the weather turns bad in my locale, I would usually be turning to rain pants for more protection.

I would love to see this style offered in a lighter color for sun protection, or bug protection in sunny weather. I think the black color would be too hot in full sun.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I appreciate you sharing your expertise. I don't think I'll be hiking with them normally, but I do think they would be great for 14ner day hikes in the Rockies, if you aren't expecting rain– to be kept in your pack– pulled out if the wind kicks up over your hiking pants. I tried the large size over my hiking pants and they fit well.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Cold windy weather is around the corner. Thanks for suggesting these Dale.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Eugene wrote "Cold windy weather is around the corner. Thanks for suggesting these Dale."

Midsummer backup for UL shorts is what I had in mind. I think typical nylon hiking pants would provide as much protection and more durability. Carrying both would be needless duplication. The UL shorts with wind pants would make a good day hiking combo. Note that Andrew Skurka has used running shorts and wind pants for many of his treks.

I could make a case for wind pants used with tall gaiters and a long poncho, with the wind pants helping to close the gap and add some warmth on a day with miles of light drizzle.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

There's some duplication, but it's lighter than insulated pants, and less expensive than a new pair of hiking pants with a thicker/tighter weave. Wash it in Nikwax and it'll probably be useful to wear under a poncho too. I'll give these a shot if the tyvek pants I already have don't work out.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Yeah right! There is no way I can explain the charge from "dance world" on the credit card. Especially after ordering from "dirty girls." I mind as well file the paperwork in advance.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Thanks, these sound like exactly what I have been looking for. I was planning to make something very similar.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

How do these differ from some of the just plain cheap nylon 'workout' pants that many retailers carry for around $20? I guess possibly the weight but 4 oz does seem really thin and lightweight. What are people's experiences with them?

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

Great tip, I was going to make myself some wind/camp pants out of pertex or something, but this costs about the same as 2 yards.

I've been trying to cut down the weight of my poison oak camp clothes, this knocks off about 3oz give or take, and little work.

With long johns should also be fine for winter use.

For those who don't know, one of the better techniques for avoiding poison oak problems once you have lost your resistance to it is changing out of hiking clothes when you get to camp, that keeps you from accidentally spreading it from shoes/pants in particular to hands and face. Works, with care.

Eric Chan, thanks for pushing your point(s) so consistently, don't always agree, but I am glad to see someone who at least cares enough to say it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools