Topic

question about my 3 season layering options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) question about my 3 season layering options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

I'm trying to finish my clothing options for 3 season in N.C./TN area. I'm looking to buy an insulating jacket…Please tell me if this sounds good

-From inner to outer-
    Merino 1 shirt
    Patagonia sun hoody or R1 pullover depending on season
    Houdini wind jacket
    montbell ul down inner jacket
    golite poncho for rain

I'm worried that the MB jacket won't hold up due to the abrasion/wear from my pack(zpack exo, if it matters), since it will be the outer layer. Is this something I should be worried about ?
    also, I get pretty hot when hiking, so is it possible that I wouldnt need the MB jacket while hiking, just in camp or early mornings?
    Thanks, Eric

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

In temps down to the low 30's, I find a base layer, R1 and windshirt are more than ample while on the move.
    I only use the MB jacket in camp. Especially since sweat will reduce the fluffyness of the down.

And yes, I said fluffyness.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

I can't imagine hiking in a down jacket unless it was seriously cold…I'd overheat big time and suspect most are similar. If moving, I'm fine in base layer + wind jacket down to 20 or so. I just use my down pullover for around camp/sleep.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I definitely recommend AGAINST hiking in the Montbell. Great gear, but not durable enough and too hot.

+1 on the above layering advice, as well. When moving, less is needed (unless you're in COOOOOOOLD temps).

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking…. It looks like that part of my gear should be set, as it follows along with your advice.
    Great wealth of info here, thanks

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Your system should work perfectly, now you'll just have to play with it enough to learn how it is perfect ;)

I use the same basic setup for my three season list here in the desert, granted here the "three" seasons are fall, winter, spring!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools