Topic

Where to stay in San Francisco pre-JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Where to stay in San Francisco pre-JMT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Jay
    BPL Member

@standupdouble

Before starting my JMT hike I won't to spend a few nights in san francisco as I've never been there before. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for places to stay that are reasonably priced. If possible I would like to stay somewhat near [under 2 miles] the Ferry Building where I will be catching the Amtrak bus.

thanks in advance.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Bradley, there are a lot of hotels in that area. However be prepared to pay $200 night. SF has great public transportation and if you ventured 5-10 miles away you should find cheaper accommodations . There are many less expensive options near the Marina Dist. on Lombard St. In fact, you could walk to The Ferry Building straight down the Embarcadero which is around 5 miles

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

There are several hostels in SF that go for about $20 a night. Take a quick look at reviews and you'll know which ones to avoid.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

…….stay away from the hostel in the Tenderloin!

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I haven't been there, Ken, but I imagine it would be an unforgettable experience.

Paul I
    BPL Member

@piracki

Locale: San Francisco

Bradley – PM me and I can give you more detailed info as I live in SF and also did the JMT a couple of summers ago. IMHO the best hostel in SF is at Ft Mason, though it is a couple of miles (but scenic miles) to Amtrak. The Green Tortoise Hostel is a 20 minute walk to Amtrak, but in a more urban setting (eg may be noisier) The Green Tortoise also runs bus trips to Yosemite…

As an alternative, consider airbnb, which allows folks to rent out rooms, apartments, cottages etc on a nightly basis. I just used it in Manhattan a week ago and had a good experience,

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

Bradley,

Like Paul I live in SF and can give recommendations on places to stay just PM me. Ken is correct SF has good public transit and staying outside the city center is easy and WAY better than the typical tourist bummer zones like Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square. Resident hotels in the TL? Yikes…

JMT Woo Hoo!!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Matthew it might be worth the price of admission to stay there.

Though I don't want to fall asleep there

Bradley Jay
    BPL Member

@standupdouble

Thanks for all the great advice!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools