Topic

24hrs in the Middle Prong and Shining Rock Wildernesses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 24hrs in the Middle Prong and Shining Rock Wildernesses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

Hey, guys. Late Saturday I decided to head out for a last minute loop. Pretty fun trip that ended up being more of a challenge than I expected. As always full write up and photos on my blog: patrickofeasttn.blogspot.com

Middle Prong Wilderness

Anthony McGuire

@amcguire

Amazingly, I was in the same area this weekend with a very similar route. I started hiking from Sunburst campground on the Haywood gap trail Saturday afternoon and picked up the Mountains to Sea trail. I camped in the vicinity of the Green Mountain trail Saturday night, on the top of a grassy bald. Thought I was the only soul around for miles at first but later two guys with a dog came by while they were looking for a place to cook dinner away from their camp, which wasn't too far from me.
    I hiked on into Shining Rock on Sunday (culture shock!), crossed Black Balsam and Tennent Mountain and on up to Shining Rock Gap, circled back and camped at Ivestor Gap. Monday morning, I finished by hiking down Fork Mountain trail. Very beautiful and amazing territory!
    I've said all this so that I can tell you this: your photos do the area great justice. Thanks for sharing…

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Patrick,
    thanks for the report, I did the same loop nearly 20 years ago and still remember how brutal the "trail" down from Green Knob was. I need to take some other unsuspecting folks back there some day soon.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

Thanks, guys! Tony, I'm always amazed about how often I can go out on a trip and see barely anyone and then come home to find a trip report of another BPLer in almost the exact same location at the time I was there. Maybe next time we'll run into each other.

Alex, it really is a great little loop. I'm still not exactly sure why I enjoyed it so much, but it sure was fun and I may do it again late fall when the leaves are gone.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools