Topic

Desert Hike with Scouts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Desert Hike with Scouts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

We had a good desert hike with about 12 scouts, 7 adults, at Craters of the Moon National Monument. There was no water, so we carried about a gallon each for a 5 mile hike to a volcano caldera. It was about 20 acres inside the caldera, of grasses and small pine trees. Everybody had a good time, and we did a lot of map and compass work. A bunch of the scouts were on their first backpack. Pics at http://backpackingtechnology.com/

On the drive home, we saw a moose and antelope. How many people see both those in the same hour? On the hike I was sitting on a rock waiting for the scouts and a deer came running up the trail, probably flushed out by our kids further back on the trail. He got within 20 feet of me before he saw me, and did a four point stop, turned to the side, and headed off the trail around me. That was fun to see.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools