Topic

Simple 2.5 Layer W/B Pullover?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Simple 2.5 Layer W/B Pullover?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

Why is it so hard to find a simple 2.5 layer water proof breathable (paclite for example)jacket with a hood? Disregarding the price, the Haglof Ozo seemed to me the ideal jacket. Is there anything out there that is comparable? I don't need any pockets, but would be able to live with one Napoleon pocket.

Short of a suitable anorak, I guess I'd be able to live with something like the OR Helium II, but that full zip seems wasteful.

Thanks

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

North Face Triumph, my anorak of choice.
    180g (6.3 oz) at size XL.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Other than the Triumph (a good piece, but with limitations) I'm not aware of any light WPB anorak on the budget end of the market. In addition to the Ozo, Rab, Berghaus, and Mountain Hardware all make solid, lightish anoraks, but they're all on the expensive side.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

its useful on a less breathable jacket like the helium … you can inzip it almost all the way and let the waistbelt/sternum strap hold the jacket toghether … better ventilation …

though you will get some spray, the body heat keeps it at bay if yr wearing a synth top under

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Check out the Salomon Minim Ultimate Pullover. 5.3oz, 3/4 length zip, hood, napoleon pocket

Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

"Check out the Salomon Minim Ultimate Pullover. 5.3oz, 3/4 length zip, hood, napoleon pocket"

That does look like the ideal jacket for me. Unfortunately, I can't find it in a small for under $200 USD. For that matter the Triumph is very difficult to find in a small as well. It seems to me that the product life-cycles of many jackets is ridiculously small.

I have pretty much decided to go with the full zip Helium II. Thanks for everybody's suggestions. For the time being I think I'm just going to live with my DriDucks for a month or two. I think I may be a little gun shy since the (serious) delamination of my Marmot Mica. It seems to me that a shell should last more than 15 months if well cared for like mime, even if it is made of a fragile 2.5 layer material.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Arc'teryx Alpha SL Pullover is Gore-Tex Paclite and a pullover with pit zips. I almost went for that one, but decided to go for a full-zip so I could wear it around town too.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools