Topic

Why standard rolled foam pad is bad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why standard rolled foam pad is bad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

The most brief of summaries would be foam is actually the best thing around… if you can actually sleep well on it (many people can't)

Then not all foams are equal. I'd say it's worth investing on an expensive foam pad over a cheap one.

Inflatables are better for cushion and packed volume. Everything else is a con.

Chris Scala

@scalawag

I use a Mariposa. 8 Section Z-Lite is my back pad for the backpack, SynMat UL 7 is inside for rest. Z-Lite comes out for naps / rest stops / back-up / an added layer under the SynMat at night for insulation and protection.

Using this method, I find neither is redundant, as they serve separate important purposes. I don't think I'd ever carry an airpad exclusively, so luckily my pack uses foam for support.

Also the SynMat is so comfortable, I would happily sleep on it outside of the woods.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

Personally, I happen to like closed cell foam pads. My pillow doesn't fall off the pad immediately like it does with inflatables, and I don't slide off halfway through the night, either. Firm is actually more comfortable for me.

The main reason I can think of why a rolled ccf pad is bad is because it's about 20 times bulkier than the inflatable alternatives. I don't mind this usually because I just strap it to the outside of my pack, but at some point, it does get to be limiting, of how easily it is to access the inside of the pack, of how full you can stuff your backpack, and of what else you can strap to the outside of your pack.

Another problem is that you just aren't going to get the kind of warmth out of a closed cell foam pad as you can get out of something like a good 4-season inflatable. I've used both kinds and short of bringing so many ccf pads to stack that they are too big to carry, it just doesn't equal the warmth that a good 4-season inflatable can deliver for less bulk and comparable weight.

In my experience, leaks in inflatable pads are rare, easy to mend in the field, and with moderate care, they just don't happen. If you're worried, just get one made out of a more durable material.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

"By now, having my 320 gram pad is enough. "

Count yourself among the fortunate ones that can manage to get an adequate nights sleep on a foam pad. You are envied by many, myself included. I'd kill to get a good nights sleep on a $15 indestructible pad.
    I'm good for maybe 2 nights maximum on one, then the soreness and fatigue of poor sleep catches up and I'm ready to go home. So for that reason alone, I'm forced into using a NeoAir inflatable.

There's very little legitimately 'wrong' with foam, it just isn't comfortable for some sleeping positions, and sometimes low temps.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Used a small Thermarest Prolite for years but recently switched back to a Ridgerest. It's bulkier, but 5 oz lighter, and I seem to sleep alright on it so far. I still remember how excited I was to get that self-inflating Prolite though.

E.L. Boston

@el_jefe

Locale: The Pacific Northwest

Oh, you ground-dwellers and your piddly sleeping pad woes.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back up on my high hor…er, hammock.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

I was just about to post a similar thread, and then i saw this.

i mostly hike in an alpine terrain (rocks,hard grass) and i am a long distances hiker so i am pretty convinced , after reading this thread, that reliability is more important in long distance hikes than being comfortable (the later being individual).

but my question is what i a high end closed cell foam pad? i only see blue cheap ones around?
    links for examples of high quality foam pads will be appreciated.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

The Multimat pads never seem to get a mention on BPL, maybe because they're British. I don'tknow if they're available in the States, but they can be bought from here
    The Adventure mats are lighter than the ones I usually see mentioned on BPL, but my wife and I have used them below freezing with no problems.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

If you take your hammock you narrow number of places you can hike.
    What would you do in desert? Above tree line? On Mars/Moon :D

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

i have checked the multimat website. those mats are very thin. i'm looking for at least 1cm.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Also, Gossomergear.com sells the Nightlite pads. These were adaptations of the older Mt Washington pads, I think. http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/accessories/lunapad.htm is a similar pad but a bit longer.
    I recommend these two. Either has a fairly high R value for the weight. Also, the bumps relieve some pressure from laying on them, so you get a bit more from down lofting into the valleys. The big downfall is the bulk. Again, cutting with an electric knife and taping back together works to give a pretty good support for framless packs. Dual purpose, in that regard.

Only closed cell foam should be purchased for backpacking and hiking. It repells water fairly well and does not absorb large amounts…only at the edges where cells are open.

Do a google on "Foam pads for camping", lots of links for various manufaturors and pads. Many are not all that light.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Multimat have a number of pads that are 1cm and more in thickness, but I don't know how easy they are to find in the States.

Matthew Nolin

@matthewnolin

Locale: New England

I have intrigued by the Adventure mat after seeing it on Hendrik's blog. Wonder if there are any US distributors for Multimat…

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

"after reading this thread, that reliability is more important in long distance hikes than being comfortable (the later being individual)"

I think you can still have both comfort and reliability with a two pad system (one closed cell and one inflatable). Comfort is all about the hips and shoulders (and in some situations the heels/feet) so a pad that supports those are what you need unless it is very cold or on snow.

As both a desert hiker and Eastern US off season hiker I have been very happy with my 14 oz., 36 inch long, 1.66 inch thick two pad system. No matter how careful you are in clearing your sleeping site (I consider myself pretty careful), punctures happen with inflatables unless you protect them with a non-inflatable bottom pad. My experience is you can never find the pin hole leaks in the backcountry so the idea of fixing them is not a valid one to me.

My thoughts on the pad subject here:

http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/current-thoughts-on-sleeping-pads/

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Mathew

I purchased a multimat last year from ultralightoutdoorgear in the UK. I recall shipping was very reasonable and I think it actually took less than a week to arrive in the West coast USA. I highly recommend them for products unavailable in the USA.

Bensbackwoods.com in the USA carries some of the inflatable multimats.

Matthew Nolin

@matthewnolin

Locale: New England

Thanks Dan. I was actually going to email them and ask them if they've shipped one to the US before. Saved me some work!

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Tony Mull

@tonymull

Locale: Western Washington

After 40 years I've tried most all. The first thermarest I tried I was like a kid who just discovered ice cream! These days I've gone to an old blue pad and a thin, short thermarest. Totals 24 oz and pretty dang comfortable and the blue pad is a backup/sit pad around camp. I'm 220 and a side sleeper. A benedryl at bedtime softens things nicely.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools