Topic

Skurka’s Mtn West Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Skurka’s Mtn West Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

He mentions it a few times in his book. On Page 200 for example. He says it is an 800-fill power with 5" of loft. Elsewhere in the book he mentions that it is 25 oz. Anyone know what he is referring to? I know that it is fairly heavy by some standards, but with 5" of loft, cold shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

I'm wondering if the 5" of loft is actually 2.5" of single-sided loft times two. Anyway, it is supposed to be quite warm. Would be interesting to hear more about it.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ I think that is a good guess :)

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I got my twins the GoLite UltraLite 20 quilts. (I had the 1st gen Ultra 20 and while I liked the size and comfort a lot I was not impressed with the rating or loft.) Here are the notes I took when I got them.

The down seems to be all there now. After only ten minutes out of the tight packaging it was lofted up to 5 inches when doubled over itself. I like the new color, my son is going to love it. The Pertex Eco Arid Zone seems to be a little more crinkly feeling (and sounding) than the 1st gen Pertex Endurance fabric.

Here are some numbers

Manufacturer: GoLite
    Web site: http://www.golite.com
    Product: UltraLite 3-Season Quilt
    Size: Short
    Year manufactured: 2010
    MSRP: US$ 255.00
    Temperature rating: 20 F (-7 C)
    Weight listed: 1 lb 5 oz (620 g)
    Actual weight: 1 lb 6.7 oz (6 g)
    Length measured from inside footbox to edge at head: 62 in (157 cm)
    Color: Baltic/Grease
    Fill weight listed: 10.65 oz (302 g)
    Loft listed: 5 in (13 cm)
    Actual loft observed after being shaken and 10 minutes sitting out: 5 in (13 cm)

And of course the proof is in the pics I always say. ;-)
    GoLite quilts

Nathan Lare
    BPL Member

@hikingllama

I know when I saw Andrew give a gear clinic before he went on the last Alaska trek he had the GoLite quilt that Chris referenced above (or some variation of it).

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Looking at the GoLite website, the current regular is 23 oz. and the current long is 26 oz. And they are on sale for $150.

Seems I've read in the past that the temp rating is a bit optimistic though. Anybody out there using this current model find it to be reasonably rated at 20*?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Hi Warren,

I am out the door in a few minutes to try the ankle out with a real (short, light) hike again. Yay!

The old model had the issues with rating being too optimistic. These ones should be good with the actual 2-1/2" of one-sided loft going off my other quilts. (I have not had the kids out at 20F in them.)

Have a great rest of the week all,

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I picked one up for my son in reg length and it came in at 24.5oz with a listed fill weight of a bit over 14 oz. Very nice bag for the money and should be good to 20f for most folks. We were out this past weekend and he complained of being too warm at around freezing.

Anthony Analetto

@fubar2us

Locale: MidWest USA

I have an older large GoLite 20 that I got on a basement sale at a local outfiter. It comes in at 13oz and 2 1/2 inches of loft. I have taken it down to 30 with no extra insulation and was still hot in the morning when wraped up in it. my only complaint is that I am a side sleeper and have a hard time keeping it wrapped fully around me. the new ones look to have that problem fixed with extra padding but with extra weight.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

Warren,

I've had mine for a little over a month now and have taken it down to near 20 with no issue. Very warm at 30, have to sort of drape it over me or I overheat. Great quilt for the price.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools