Topic

DR with two people inside – Have a pic?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DR with two people inside – Have a pic?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kevin J

@kevinj

I'm looking for a picture that shows how well two average size people actually fit in a Double Rainbow. Ideally, facing each other. Wondering about head and shoulder clearance as well as just overall fit.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Kevin J

@kevinj

I've watched the videos but did not see any with two people inside. I've seen the pics with pads or bags placed inside which does give a good feel for floorspace, but I'm interested in how usable the volume is with two people inside as well.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Franco some time ago (before he became a Tarptent representative) suggested a good and inexpensive way to find out if you'll fit in a specific tent:

Go to the website and check the diagrams (excellent on Tarptent's site and several others) and get the dimensions. With masking tape and string, make a 3-D mockup of the tent, using strategically placed furniture for support where needed. Put the two of you (in my case, it's me and my dog) inside, including the sleeping bags, pads and whatever you use for a pillow (the last important so you'll know if your face ends up close to the tent ceiling, not a great idea if you want to avoid condensation).

I've tried this several times and it has worked pretty well. It's certainly cheaper than the return postage on a tent!

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just beware that the tape test doesn't take into account the way the walls slope. I have a TT Rainbow, and there is a lot more usable length in the center of the tent than on the sides because of the way the end walls slope. I would never buy a tent based only on its footprint dimensions.

To its credit, Tarptent shows some of the best 3-d views of its tents' dimensions I've ever seen.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

My wife and I have used the Dbl Rainbow ever since they first came out in 2006. There is plenty of room for two inside, especially lying down.

The choke point is the narrow width at the top; only one person at a time can sit up to get dressed/undressed (comfortably).

Two people can sit up if they face each other (meals, talk, play cards, etc.).

We put both packs in one vestibule and cook/enter/exit through the other.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Todd, I should have specified a 3-D mockup, and will edit my post accordingly. Yes, you do need to approximate the walls!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is the kind of 3D mock up that I do :

3D mock upThe main pole for the TT DR is 144' long.
    Franco
    BTW, that is not a TT…

A couple of extra shots.
    This will give you a good idea why some 6' plus guys make me smile when they talk about how they fit inside their shelter..
    (I am 5'8")3d 2
    Pip test

Anthony Analetto

@fubar2us

Locale: MidWest USA

I'm with Bob on this. The wife and I have used the DR on serveral trips, she is 5'3 and I am at 6'0. we find it a little cramped at the top when sleeping facing each other. As Bob said you can forget about both of you getting ready at the same time in the morning in the tent. I have used it as a solo tent and works great for that, little heavy for it but still works great that way. My big complaint is that I can never get the treking poles to sit right to be used as a freestanding tent. I even have the 5 cm extentions that TT sells for it to make it work but it is never going to happen unless you can find poles that can reach greater than 140 cm.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

My big complaint is that I can never get the treking poles to sit right to be used as a freestanding tent. I even have the 5 cm extentions that TT sells for it to make it work but it is never going to happen unless you can find poles that can reach greater than 140 cm.

Works well on the Rainbow but yes not so much on the DR.
    I can do it but it is fiddly.
    So I made one from a curtain rail . 10" long and I attach the tie out this way :
    DR FS Ext

Franco

Kevin J

@kevinj

I was offered a late 2006/early 2007 DR. Great condition, supposedly less than 15 nights use. $180. Is that a decent price for that vintage? I know there have been lots of enhancements since and a fairly major design update in 2010 (floor size and beak resizing a bit earlier), so I'm not sure what a fair price is. I would expect $200 or so for a bit later model in good condition.

jacko vanderbijl

@jacko1956

Locale: Shelley Western Australia

I have the TarpTent Rainshadow 2.
    Not freestanding but for the weight – acres of room.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

At least we know there's plenty of room for Franco's sweet kitty in whatever tent he's testing!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools