Topic

GoPro HD Hero 2 news

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography GoPro HD Hero 2 news

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yesterday I went to the Melbourne Digital Show.
    Loads of people about with the GoPro stand creating possibly the biggest buzz.
    Some of the more notable additions to the range were the 3D set up, Wi Fi and new software.
    At the front of the stand a 3D clip was playing. Very impressive.
    There is a kit for that including a double housing.
    The WiFi BacPac lets you see a live image as well as live streaming to other devices.
    You can now live stream the image to Android or iPhone and iPad.
    With the WiFi remote you can control up to 50 cameras at up to 600' away.
    There is also Protune, a free software package that allows you to process a less compressed image (at 35mbps) as well a as starting with an image that has not been tweaked already in camera.
    Not exactly a RAW file but close to it.
    The color and distortion corrections were very impressive . This software will also process the 3D image captured by two cameras.
    There is a Pro version of the software , for a fee, but the free version is already very comprehensive.
    The Contour and another couple of similar cameras were there but nothing looked like the GoPro in image quality.
    All of the above will be usable on any GoPro HD Hero 2 via a firmware upgrade that will be available in a few weeks.
    Franco

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Very cool news, Franco. Access to minimally compressed footage for such a small form factor camera is way cool. Is the 35mbps stream still 8 bits per channel, or something higher direct from the sensor?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

That I don't know.
    Comparing an in camera processed clip and one done with Protune, the latter was remarkably better having less noise ,more latitude and much better colour balance.
    BTW, it can now shoot 24,25 or 30fps as well as at higher frames at a reduced frame size.
    Franco

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"it can now shoot 24,25 or 30fps as well as at higher frames at a reduced frame size"

Why would you want to shoot higher than 30fps?

My Canon DSLR can shoot video at 60fps, but I haven't figured out a purpose to that, other than eating up memory faster.

Also, I can't see the point to reducing the frame size (below the maximum) unless I was running low on memory. If I ultimately want to have a reduced frame size, then I can convert that in post-processing. But if I shoot at a reduced frame size, it is difficult to convert up to a maximum size without compromises.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Why would you want to shoot higher than 30fps?

Slow motion

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Slow motion"

So, you shoot at 60 and play back at 30?

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

yes, you can also shoot at 120fps.
    Some shoot at 60 and playback at 60 to get a different look.
    Franco

Kari Post
    BPL Member

@karipost

Locale: New Hampshire

I'm glad to see the backpack accessory. I have a GoPro HD Hero and never use it because the controls and menu navigation through the 2 buttons are terrible.

I wish GoPro would create a RAW mode for stills. I'm a semi-pro photographer and the GoPro opens up some new doors for photo and video, but since exposure and everything is automatic, not having the ability to make major adjustments to the image file (JPEG only) is limiting.

Still waiting for GoPro to release the camera I need.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools