Topic

How effective is Tulle against mosquitoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How effective is Tulle against mosquitoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

I live up north in the PNW just by Mt. baker and I'm wondering how effective Tulle would be against the bugs in my area? I'm hoping someone can shine some light on this for me. I'm wanting to make a super simple bug bivy for the summer to use under my tarp.

Thanks!

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Dan,

My Hilleberg Unna has a tulle insert (pictured in my review at http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Hilleberg%20Unna/Owner%20Review%20by%20Richard%20Lyon/) and I've found it impervious to mosquitoes in the Northern Rockies (an especially bloodthirsty strain of the insect). Hopefully Peter Vacco, from whom I bought the Unna and the man who added the tulle panel, will read your post as well, as he used the tent for two long expeditions in the Yukon and Northwest Territories, where the insects are really ferocious.

Richard

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Tulle is what I have used on my tents for the last 6 years. Blocks mossies well.

Cheers

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Tulle works fine for mosquitos and black flies. The mesh is coarser than noseeum, so there may be other smaller bugs that can get through it. Peter Vacco is the man for sewing tulle; I've been avoiding that task. It is a lot lighter than the alternatives.

Roger, how has the tulle held up on your tents?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> how has the tulle held up on your tents?
    Very well. I put one or two small holes in it right at the start. Since then, no problems. OK, I take care of my gear.

If you want to put any small press-studs in it (I do, at the bottom of the doors), you will need to reinforce it over a small area. Fair go – it was not meant for that! :-)
    My tulle is about 9 gsm. That's very light. Something about 15 gsm would be very good imho.

Cheers

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I use tulle bugnets on my hammocks and it works great for mosquitoes and black flies. I am told that it doesn't work as well for no-seeums. But, I soak my tulle in permethrin so that pretty well takes care of anything that might try to get through the weave.

One word of caution – there are different qualities of tulle. I use the "fashion Tulle" from JoAnns Fabrics. Most other tulles fall apart before you can hit the trail but if you are gentle with the "fashion tulle" and don't snag it on bushes, it will serve you well at half to 1/3rd of the weight of other netting or organza.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

works great for me vs the bugs in PA. i appreciate the breeziness of it. lets air flow much better than noseeum.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

This thread has some hints and sources for sewing tulle:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=47478

It's time to add bug netting to my nanomid so I need to get sewing :(

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools