Topic

Trekking poles with camera mount.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Trekking poles with camera mount.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    F. M.

@fmattos

Hello, I'm looking for a pair of trekking poles that can also be used as a monopod, or maybe as a bipod if there is one that works like that. The camera I will be using is a Canon 60D sometimes with a lens that can weigh up to 3lbs. I'm trying to get trekking poles as lightweight as possible that are also adjustable to use with a tarptent.
    I've noticed that the Gossamer Gear has an adapter to convert their poles to a monopod. I am not confortable with the return policies and warranty of Gossamer Gear, and while calling them their rep. was rather rude, so I would go for their pole only as last resort. Are there other poles out there with an adapter like the GG or something similar? Anyone has experience with the GG LT4S with the monopod adapter or any other pole?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I have never had a problem with Gossamer Gear and I have bought poles ,packs, shelters ect. over the years.But if you want to go with another option then their is…

http://www.rutalocura.com/trekking_poles.html

F. M.

@fmattos

Thanks Anna, have you had the chance of using either of them with the camera adapter? That Yana will save me a few bucks over the LT4, specially if I can find it used somewhere.

Rich Lillo

@sierrahiker

What I did is put a ¼-20 threaded insert into the top of the handle of one my trekking poles, then attach a mini ballhead mount that can be easily removed when not in use. I use a mini bungee cord with the other pole for a duopod. If you do this remove the strap from the handle, use a drill that is the small diameter of the insert, and use a long ¼-20 bolt with a nut as a backstop to screw in the insert. Make sure the ballhead mount you get will support the weight of your camera. Check Amazon and B&H Photo.

andrew brown

@abrown3mtg

Locale: High Rockies

I picked up the mountain smith monopod from REI…. claimed weight is 14 oz….. construction quality isn't too bad, and felt much lighter than other options. I've been pleased with its performance so far… and at the price $29.00 I couldn't find anything to beat it!

Best of all, if I decide it doesn't fit my needs, or breaks…. back to rei it goes ;)

http://www.rei.com/product/809073/mountainsmith-trekker-fx-monopod-trekking-pole

It has supported my 5d mk II even with a 70-200 2.8 lens…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools